Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: In what season does the water usually have the greatest visablity
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
spring
41.67%
5 41.67%
summer
16.67%
2 16.67%
fall
41.67%
5 41.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Water vis.
11-09-2006, 10:52 PM,
Re: Water vis.

!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!

I love being able to drive right up to the spring , throw a WET SUIT on in December/January , and dive in Crystal clear water...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
No chain saw needed.
Gear doesn't freeze up.
NO DRY SUIT NEEDED (unless you want to)
AND I don't hit my head on the ceiling because I didn't see it !!!
(aka bottom of the ice sheet)

OK , so slap me !!!
And I'm blonde too... I DID hit my head on the bottom of the ice sheet of Square lake...That hurt !!!

Jeano Beano
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
11-09-2006, 11:24 PM,
So, who stands on top of the ice and moves the dive float around to mark your position underwater?  ;D
11-10-2006, 09:34 AM,
Jean,
Aly and I are so jealous of your location so close to the springs.  We tried cavern for the first time this last spring and are just waiting for our next opportunity. 

Alas, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  I'd say that this also applies to the water is a better shade of blue, the viz is better, the aquatic life is better, etc.

The problem for an avid diver in Minnesota (AKA addict), is that going on a trip to dive is EXPENSIVE :'(.  Aly and I can usually only manage one of these trips once every year or two.  I think not enough divers, see the value and appreciate the beauty of diving close to where they live, and diving year round.   

I know too many people who live here in Minnesota, and complain about the lack of good places to dive, the length of the winter etc.  They live for their brief trips to somewhere else.  They talk of moving when they retire or can find a job in the Sunbelt.  Don't get me wrong, I LUV ta go t other places to vacation and dive too.    I just think I'm a really really lucky guy to have grown up and live in an area with more lakes than I'll ever have the opportunity to dive.  I just luv gettin in the water.  I've had dives in natural Minnesota lakes with 40-50 foot viz. I've had dives in Minnesota lakes and had viz that could be measured in inches.  I've had great dives in both.  Having the "opportunity" to dive lakes that very infrequently see divers or have NEVER seen another diver is cool.  Diving near beaver lodges and jus setting on the bottom and watching the fish is one of my FAVORITE things ta do.  Then again, I'm just very easily entertained :Smile.  Diving in the winter gives me more freedom.  I can dive locations that because of boat traffic or logistics are actually much more challenging to dive during the open water season. 

As to Elkman's question about the dive flag....  If you've ever watched Ice divers ya might notice that there is this strange kind of pattern in the snow around the hole...Looks kind of like an old time wagon wheel.  Well contrary to popular belief the REAL function of this pattern is to provide a path for the newest ice diver (after he or she has cut the hole and shoveled the path) to run while holding the dive flag  ;D ;D

P.S.  Right now is the BEST time of year for night dives.... See I go ta bed kinda early... and this time of year it gets dark early and I don't have to stay up late...
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM,
Elkman, Just to remind you, as a newbie, that will be your job so bring warm boots!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!