Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive instructors
03-29-2008, 11:42 AM,
Re: Dive instructors

These are two VERY important points:
Learning by observation even if it turns out to be a point about what not to do for yourself and your buddies.
Often the best training is less of a "pay to play" situation and more about MENTORING.
Thanks for making them.
Todd
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-29-2008, 09:26 PM,
BTW the best dive training...the winner is...dive, dive, dive again...dive as often as possible and keep evolving.  There is no replacement for time spent underwater. I for one think there are entirely too few dives that can qualify you for every next level in scuba including instructors.  I have dove with some of the best newbies in the world.  Likewise I have had instructors that I wouldn't us as a buddy at the bottom of my bath tub.  Many instructors only dive in class environments. I will say it again...there is no replacement for time spent underwater.

Here are some tips to make you a better diver without costly classes:
1) Learn something on every dive.
2) Plan and Review your Dive
    -  So many people diligently plan there dives but many of them never Review their dives
        You always should mentally review your dive.
    -  Be critical and challenge yourself to make changes next time.
    -  Don't be afraid to ask your buddy about their opinion of your skills during the previous dive. Listen to them. Don't take it personal    but make the necessary changes. Your ego might take a hit but this will make you a better diver!
3) Challenge your equipment configuration and prepare for "what if" and "worst case scenarios."
4) Don't feel you necessarily need to conform to some rigid standard (DIR).  If it works for you, its safe, and you build it into your routine then there is no reason to not adopt something into your setup/system and regime.  Too many people think their is "only one way to do it." Locking yourself into a..."if I do everything this way" mindset misses the entire point and can lead to complacency. With that said I personally ascribe to most of DIR. That will probably piss off some DIR guys because many of them feel it is all or nothing. DIR is pretty great but every diver should know why it is great rather than just blindly accepting it and never personally considering "why it is." 
5) Lastly...Safety first!
-  Dropped that $200 titanium knife at the end of your dive at the safety stop in over 100' of water with no bottom time left?  Well forget it! Just let it go.  If you want to look for it next dive after your SIT, go right ahead. For now, it is gone! What the hell did you buy a $200 knife for anyways?

- Never underpay for life support equipment (i.e. regulators and emergency gear) always have the best and leave the rest!

-  Always, return to the sufurace after entry before descending. What the hell is the matter with these people who giant stride or back roll in and proceed immediately below the surface only to find they never turned on their main.

- Those of us with manifolds...don't trust that fill station attendant to know anything about how a manifold works or what it takes to fill your doubles.  Always oversee their entire process!

Okay that is off topic and long winded but that is all I got.
03-30-2008, 09:46 AM,
Good post, Eric.
03-30-2008, 11:21 PM,
I agree with Eric. There is no substitute for time spent underwater. However. I think that classes and formal education are important as well. I was originally certified as an o/w and advanced diver in 1985. I knew I needed to improve my skills. After a few years I thought I was a pretty good diver. In the late 90's I took the NAUI advanced, master and several specialty classes. I then found out how much I didn't know and how much room I had for  improvement. The information from the classes, the guidance from some really good instructors and time spent underwater in a variety of conditions combined to make me a much better diver. I agree on the importance of time spent diving, but do not dismiss the importance of formal education, which exposes one to more in depth information as well as practical experience diving in a variety of conditions under the watchful eye (to provide both praise and constructive criticism) of an instructor. Couldn't agree more on his points 1 thru 5. Particularly reviewing and learning from your previous dives. Don't forget to log them so you can look back and benefit from them. Second, don't skimp on your life support equipment. Not only make sure you buy the best, but make sure you maintain it and have it serviced regularly.
04-01-2008, 07:27 PM,

Interesting, Women always telling man what to do.. At least at my home by my Commanders..
And they never listen what the man says....

Andreas
Andreas