Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shore Diving Superior
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM,
Re: Shore Diving Superior
the lake by tischer creek????? where exactly is that by chester park?????

and I have been at the end of 21st ave, is there still room to park etc I know they put up all those condo's and if i recall it was mostly sand (refresh my memory???) 

Thanks for the additions!
03-14-2007, 05:17 PM,
parking is tough...it's the end of the lakewalk.  But there are large "stairsteps" to the south.  It's a shallow dive.  I have hit 45' out there...all rock.
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2007, 06:56 AM by cold_H2O_diver.)
Let's go south to north:

Duluth Canal Wall

Enter at the pebble beach at the outside of the west wall. Gets down to about 25' at the end. Often items under the water that have been dropped intentionally  / unintentionally by folks on the walkway above. Otherwise, some boulders and a good look at the canal architecture. Stay out of the inner channel, however.

Fitger Inn

I assume you are referring to the cribs behind the Fitgers complex. Not really an old breakwall. They formed the footings for a grain elevator and dock system that extended out into Lake Superior - they even accommodated railroad tracks at one point. Ranges down to about 25' at the end. Enjoyable in the fall as a night dive when the Lake Trout come to spawn. Draw a line from the iron crane footing painted like a frog / dragon out to the red buoy - that's about the line on which the cribs run.

The crib that drifted ashore this fall lies just up from the entry point (north). See a crib wet, see a crib dry.

Brighton Beach

Mix of boulders, minor rock formations and gravel on flat basaltic plain. I've ambled down to about 45' to 50' or so - doesn't get very deep very quickly. I've seen some small bits of wreckage (bits of board and iron) toward the north end, but you have to be looking to find them. I understand there is a keel or rudder out there somewhere. Haven't seen it yet.

Duluth Pump House

Rocks piled on the large water intake pipe with cribs placed periodically along its length. About 60' out at the end, with a crib structure that fish will hang out in. It's a bout a 1/4 mile to the end, so you would really have to hoof it - not really practical to reach the end from shore. There is a wayside right next door for parking and entry point. Angle out from shore (about SSW) to meet the pipe. It is buried under rocks in close and can be missed if you try to find it by staying right in along the shoreline. This is another good night dive in the fall when the trout come in.

Lester River Mouth

In the spring? Not practical. Fisherman or outflow - too much of each for diving.

Stony Point

Mostly on the shallow side. You can swim out a long way and have a hard time finding over 30' - and it's mostly flat rock out there. It is more interesting in closer to shore, along the rocky shoreline heading south, where you can poke around in the cracks and ledges. If the waves are moving, you'll get rolled pretty good getting back out on the beach area at the north end. It's shallow out a long way and the waves really turn. Folks surf here for that reason.

Knife River Ruins

Not familiar with these. I've been out to the wall on the north end of Knife Island and the Niagara, but have not done shore diving here. Would welcome any insight.

Agate Bay / Two Harbors Breakwall

The breakwall is a common dive site here. Gets to 100' off the end - about 60' at the elbow. Lots of good sized boulders used to protect the breakwall structure. Inside breakwall visibility declines in a hurry from stream outflows and ship traffic. Know that once you jump off the breakwall, it is very difficult to impossible to get back up. It can be a long surface swim if problems arise. Going in from shore is not a bad idea.

There is an old, derelict concrete pier on the inner curve of the bay - have to kind of work your way around some fencing to get to it. Be careful striding off the pier as there is some rebar under there. There is wreckage of some old fishing tugs out there if you're willing to look. I've found smaller pieces, am still looking for the main chunks. Frankly, I just don't go off this pier much and visibility tends to be poor.

Flooded Bay Wayside

Not familiar with this area, other than that it has always appeared rather shallow to me and mostly sandy / gravel. Would welcome any insight that proves me wrong.

Gooseberry Falls State Park

The shoreline / picnic area is a decent place to dive if the river outflow is minimal. It's a shallow ledge that drops off quickly to 45+ just out from the water's edge. Good length of rocky ledges and cracks to poke around in. Visibility drops in a hurry in the spring and after big rains as the river mouth is just around the corner.

Twin Points

There is a safe harbor / public access here - couple miles up from Gooseberry. Some crags and small canyons. Evidence of glacial scouring on some of the flat bottoms. Not terribly deep - I suppose you can find 50'. You can dive anywhere from the access around to a beach on the opposite side of the point. There is a trail along the shore that provides easy walking and gear hauling.

Split Rock / Little Two Harbors

Various things of interest here. As other writers have said - old pier footings (south end of island) and bits of the Madiera left from a salvaging effort. There is a wall around the north end of the island.

Split Rock Lighthouse Cliff

There is good diving at the base of the cliff upon which Split Rock Lighthouse sits - giant boulders and swim-throughs - really nice. Typically this is accessed by boat. I will say, however, that a buddy of mine did manage to pack in his gear and shore dive here. Of course, I've always suspected he's got a couple of screws loose. I recommend scouting it before going pack mule.

Madiera - Shipwreck

Of course, what's a good North Shore shore diving excursion without a stop at the Madiera? Good many do this as a shore dive. Very much accessible. Stop at Split Rock SP office to get the combination to the lock for the diver-only parking lot just north of the State Park entrance on Hwy 61.

Just For Fun

Near Beaver Bay. This is a 37' ferro-cement sailboat sunk by the GLSPS as a pilot project to learn the hoops one must jump through to accomplish a sink-a-ship program. About 30' deep. Boat is mostly stripped. There is other debris in the area, as this was not an uncommon dumping area over the ages. Try here: for some information.

Hesper - Shipwreck

Easy access from the end of the marina access road that runs out on the breakwall. Diver's stairs and access are over the top of the rocks at the circle.

Silver Bay Beach

Stays pretty shallow - 25' to 35' - to the north. Some ledges, cracks. Haven't been south. That little rock island you can see is a fun dive - it has a wall that drops 90+ feet straight down, and other nice ledges. Not practical to reach if swimming from shore, however.

Shovel Point - Tettegouche SP

I have never been diving here, but have been told there is some nice structure off and along the point. What I don't know is, if it is practical to reach the shoreline for a shore dive. I was going to explore this summer to find out. You can find Shovel Point on this map: Would welcome any insight.

Lava Flows Temperance River SP

Not familiar with this area. Would welcome any insight. Though I suspect it will not provide reasonable visibility in the spring.

Grand Marais

The old America Dock cribs are a possibility. There are also remnants of the Liberty and Elgin inside the harbor. Haven't put in a dive here, but am interested in what it has to offer. Try here: for some information and a map / sketch.

Old Hovland Pier

Not familiar with this area. Would welcome any insight.

Boulder Fields

There are a lot of boulder fields out there. Need a few more specifics on that one.
04-19-2007, 04:38 AM,
Temperance River State Park is one of my favorite places in the world.

The geo-formations in the lake off the mouth of the river, ancient lava flows, are fascinating.  In the spring, the vis isn't the best, but it's a decent match for Split Rock any time of the year, and for me that ain't bad.

My favorite time of year to dive in the Temperance is in August -- fishing lures galore.  My favorite time of the year to dive in Superior off the mouth of the Temperance is late Sept - early Oct, when the pink salmon are spawning in the river.  Ridiculous number of shore fishermen trying to snag half-dead pink salmon, and one wouldn't want to dive without a decent marker and knife as there are a fair number of boats fishing out there also, but the diversity of life at the mouth of that river on top of the ancient lava flows are heaven to this diver.

By Lake Superior standards, the area around the mouth of the Temperance is pretty easy beach diving.  In my experiences there, the people are generally really courteous, if a tad abundant during the best fall times to dive.  You will be checked out by the staff, but usually by a guy or gal who volunteers to stay there from spring into fall in their later years just because it's so dang beautiful, and they like respectful scuba divers.

Scuba divers just visiting to dive can (sometimes wait patiently to) get a temporary parking spot to drop off tanks on the beach at the north end of the campground loop just south of the river mouth.  Easy drop off of equipment there on the beach, and then park on the highway.  Otherwise, the trails from the highway parking are all down hill to the beach.  During late summer and into the fall, when the highway and everything else around that area is totally jam packed, one might need to schlep tanks over the cliff before and after the dive.  It may mark you as a lunatic like me doing the equipment carry on the slope, but everyone seems to just smile, and it's a small cliff with decent trails by North Shore beach diving standards.

There is more than scuba diving by far at Temperance River, it is truly one of nature's gifts to humans.  Bring your above-surface camera and hiking boots too!

Camping at the Temperance is a pre-reserved-spot-only type of deal.  Don't expect to get there Fri-Sat and get a spot.  All the nice spots for 2007 for anything with wheels are already reserved, I'm sure.  Getting a nice camping spot in Temperance River State Park is kinda like getting a bed in an Isle Royale live-aboard scuba charter, but not so spendy.  Temperance and Tettegouche happen to be favorites amongst non-divers too, but for those unafraid of sleeping on rocks in a tent and dealing with the occasional (per second, anyway) mosquito bite, Tettegouche usually has hike-in tent spots available.  Can you spell DEET?

Sorry about going on-and-on, but someone asked about the Temperance River...
04-19-2007, 11:08 AM,
Speaking of Tettegouche has anyone tried a dive in the Baptism River mouth.  I've only been there once which was last fall but I recall the river mouth kinda resembling a pool of water with cliffs on each side and a rocky beach separating the river from the lake.  I couldn't tell how deep the water was in the pool but it looked pretty clear and wondered if it would be worth diving.
04-19-2007, 04:07 PM,
I'm trying to line up backpacking/snorkeling trips around the north shore.. sounds like you might have some inside info that could be useful to me.  I'm not famaliar with the area at all but I'm hoping to get into some clear rivers (someone has told me they can be very tanic) and into superior, and doing some remote camping/backpacking as well.  I'm looking for good areas to combine the two hobbies...  I'd like to hike a bit.. do the snorkel.. maybe hike a bit more or not, setup camp, repeat.  Orm maybe if I get into great remote snorkel sight I'd setup camp and spend the time in the water. 
Any Suggestions greatly appreciated.. thanks,
Fred

Cold and dark down there huh?
04-19-2007, 06:51 PM,
Hey Fred, I may not be as detailed as "somedude" is but I'd highly recommend staying at a state park.  Any of the ones I've listed below are nice and will put you in a reasonable distance of lots of good dive sites.  Camp at one of the parks and then you are within reasonable driving distance of all of them.  There are some other private campgrounds that you can stay at as well but personally I prefer the state parks.  If you have a state park vehicle sticker you can freely drive into any park to access the water and trails.

04-19-2007, 08:50 PM,
Hey  Lonnie,
Thanks for the information.  If the state parks are large enough that you can setup camp kinda in the outback and "away from it all" I'd be all for it.  I have a lot of homework to do before we go.  We've spent the winter accumulating backbacking gear.. we have everything we need now except experience.. our goal is to get into some 3-5 day hikes with some snorkeling thrown in.  We'll be trying to leave the car and not come back to it until the trip is done.  I don't know, maybe we just end up doing the trails to the backwoods and hope to find some water worth exploring.  There are some small state parks around the d.l. area that have lakes and hiking trails, that's where we plan on doing the maiden voyage within the next several weeks or so, but sounds like the north shore is THEE place to go.  If you've got more suggestions I'll take 'em..  I'll check out the links you provided later.  We're checking out the camp mats/sleeping bags tonight ... got the tent pitched on the back deck.  No grass growing in our yard yet... just clay, so I opted out on pitching it there.
Later, Fred

Cold and dark down there huh?