Remember me
Lost Password Register

Primary Reel
07-28-2007, 06:28 PM,
Re: Primary Reel
#24 line is smaller diameter than #36 line, and #18 is smaller diameter yet.  Thus, yes, you can get more line on a reel with #24 line (and even more so with #18 line).  Think about the diameter of the line as how many fibers it contains.  #24 is comprised of 24 fibers, #36 has 36 fibers, etc.

A reel with 1000 feet of line is huge.  A reel that size may be overkill (and expensive).  I use a Ralph Hood Reel (aka Larry Green Reel) with a Jasper handle as my primary reel.  It probably has about 500 feet of #24 line on it.  I like it a lot.  I also like how it is identical to my other reels, just bigger.  I think I spent about $75 for my primary reel a couple years ago, buying directly from the "manufacturer" (I think he has his kids building these things in his garage).  - Kirk   
07-31-2007, 09:15 PM,
Re: Primary Reel
I just missed the chance to get a Ralph Hood on TDS but if you don't PM on the good stuff in, like, 20 minutes, it's gone!

I got a real from SD&T. Its the standard compact polycarbonate and ss and I got to use it in Bayfield diving the Lucerne (very nice) and it worked well. I'll probably keep looking for a big Salvo or something but as it is, I'll live.

PS: I put the #18 on my small DiveRit and got almost the whole 250 foot spool on it.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.