Remember me
Lost Password Register

Crosby conditions
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM by Kirk.)
Re: Crosby conditions
Yes, the charger was disconnected before I ran for the glass of water.  Rodney at Silent Submersion was great.  I had the new wiring harness within 3 days.  Upon receiving it, I had the scooter put back together within an hour, and dived with it up at Crosby for about 2 hours on Sunday.  - Kirk
09-14-2007, 01:46 AM,
Has anyone been up there in the last few days?  looking to get in some dives before winter.
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
09-14-2007, 12:17 PM,
Four of us camped/dove up there last weekend. The weather wasn't very kind to us Saturday. We got in a 60 minute dive Friday afternoon in Louise. Temperature above the thermo was about 70F and I'd put viz in the 20' range (at best).  The thermocline was somewhere around 25' mark and I don't have that temp. Probably mid-high 50's. Viz down there didn't seem much better. I'll try get some pictures posted. The smallmouth bass are getting big. I have on over/under shot with the fish in it (didn't turn out good). Fun, standing at the access in chest deep water with big fish right below.

We did another dive on Louise Saturday morning. It was really overcast so viz just seemed worse. There were two other divers that had drove in and a couple camping right at Louise. (Hi Eric, thanks for the info on the backplate, wing and harness!)

Saturday afternoon/evening was a bust. Beer was drank and the fire was stoked. We stayed at Portsmouth, and there was one small group there diving including a night dive on Saturday! The campground host informed us that Portsmouth Campground will be open thru the end of the month (wraps up with the big MSD event being held there).

Sunday we did a 52 minute dive in Hopkins. No one else in the group had been there and everyone enjoyed swimming thru the trees and watching all the fish by that big pile of trees or old beaver damn?? (if you go right from the access). Viz in hopkins was down a bit from Louise (say about 15') - just mirkier. We stayed up shallow to see more stuff, however the thermo was about the same as Louise. And there was a group of 3 or 4 that were just getting out as we geared up.

There were people camping right beside the pits (we noticed them at Louise and Mangan). The Louise site didn't look to bad trash-wise. The predictable broken glass near fire sites, etc.  And one small pile of garbage. Otherwise, I've seen it much worse.

If you get good weather, I'm sure you'll still enjoy it for another couple weeks and then it will be drysuit time. My buddy spotted a snapping turtle swimming but I was off somewhere else with the video camera so I missed - again! One day I'm gonna catch that bugger on tape. Louise is a great place to dabble with the camera, friendly bigger lake fish. Occassional loons. Turtles, etc. Oh yeah, and being our first time this year we spotted that newer white boat in shallow water just off the Louise access.
09-14-2007, 02:21 PM,
It's drysuit time year round. Wink
09-15-2007, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2007, 05:58 PM by eric myers.)
You can't handle the truth err (cold)
Hey, no problem a little information never hurts.  Like...

The temperature at depth in Louise last SAT was 39 degrees.

Might be over soon for the wetsuit divers.  Although, I can say that I had made plently of cans of soup on the side of a divesite to stay warm in my wetsuit days. 
I recommend Campbell's Selects for the conisseur and Campbell's Classic for Vintage Divers or for nostalgia sake.  It always manages makes feel six years old again.

It can  be done but you just have to "(wo)man up." 

Lonnie remembers!
09-16-2007, 07:41 AM,
You can do it in a 5mil for 8 minutes! I mistakenly bough a 5mil off the 7 rake thinking it was discounted for some reason. Well, it was cheaper for a reason. Anyway, 60 feet in Wazee and 41 degrees gave me 8 minutes to a full on chill.  So know what you want to see, see it and then get the EL out of there. Smile

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM,
I mentioned posting some Crosby pictures from our recent weekend diving trip:

12-18-2007, 09:41 PM,
What a difference a week could make!  September 14th it was terribly cold and windy.  The weekend of the 22nd, 23rd was BEAUTIFUL!  My son and I camped overnight at Portsmouth for the Smith Diving Drysuit Demo weekend.  Not many mosquitoes, fun time at the campfire, great food by the Smith Diving folks!  My son had fun snorkeling and building sand castles while I got in a couple of dives on Sunday! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!