Remember me
Lost Password Register

What I want in a dive shop.
10-09-2007, 07:43 PM,
Re: What I want in a dive shop.
Kind of a neat idea!!!!...convenience would be pretty cool, but i fear there is no way for this to realistically happen..i think liability would be through the roof..something to do with compressed air and the effects that pressure would have on the oxygen.....I have to think it would be pretty hard to have folks take a gas blender course..except for the extremely die hard few such as yourself..also..i think the costs would be outrageous....but..a neat idea/

I too am a fan of the rental equipment idea..In some ways this has been implemented in certain shops...you can rent a dry suit..in most cases a choice of several different models, wet suits...gloves...and hoods....if the shop is on their game, their rental equipment is in good shape and is a sampling of what they offer....but...there are alot of different models out there of each type of gear and it would be difficult to have them all available..or at least very costly..i am sure that the fear of someone coming to their facility to try it out the gear and then go buy it on line or something is a realistic concern as well......there is certainly plenty of that going on in the world

Great topic.....please more input
Oops Did I really say that?????
10-24-2007, 09:14 PM,
A COLD pool so I can play with trim and new gear with all my undergarments on.
10-25-2007, 12:20 AM,
OK, just got home from work, too much caffeine on the evening shift so I am wide awake ready for a long post. :o :o

Well I have to say that our little part of the world has tons of dive shops and if you look hard enough you can find almost everything a diver could need.  Unfortunately you have to go to a bunch of shops to get it all.

The shortest answer is that I would like to do business with a shop that sets the pace, not just keeps up with the other twenty or so other shops in the metro. Wink

It is really hard to find any one dive shop that can meet a variety of  “diving” needs.   So the number one thing I would like in a dive shop is one that “does it all.”  Not just market that they can do it all, but actually does.  The closest I have found was a shop in Texas.  They had the huge deep pool, lots of brands of gear, great prices, several full-time informed staff, travel, local divining, all levels of training from several training agencies, dive club, parties… every time I went there I was shocked at what they had added.    Whenever I went to Texas, they could get done whatever I needed quickly efficiently and affordably.    Sadly they did so well in their market area they tried to expand too quick in other markets and bankrupted themselves….    (The place sells cool motorcycles now).  Wouldn’t it be nice if we had that type of shop here?  We have so many knowledgeable dive experts working in so many different stores around town.  If a bunch of them got together and opened one huge store - that would be cool!  All my diving needs in one place…. Priceless

Short of the above “dream store” here are a few specifics….

First the easy stuff, or at least it should be…

Understanding…  I would like a shop that knows me.  Yes, actually takes time to get to know a customer BEFORE they “recommend” the latest greatest gear they know I could use.  Just because the storeowner thought it was cool at DEMA or got it in the store at a good price, does not necessarily indicate I need it….  Don’t get me wrong; I don’t have time to keep up on all the latest and greatest dive trends (I wish I did).  I go to local stores to see, get my hands on and learn about this stuff.  I just don’t need a sales person telling me what I need when they don’t know anything about me or my personal diving preference.

Integrity….   I would like a dive store that does not engage in gossip or speak poorly of other dive stores.  Some of those people that work in the other “Bad” stores are my friends.  I have known and dove with some of them for a decade or more.  If speaking poorly of others is the best a store can do to market themselves, they have bigger problems and should worry more about their own business.

Knowledge…  I would like the staff at the store to be knowledgeable and honest.  Know the industry, know about the dive stuff the market offers and speak intelligently about the gear.  Not just the gear on their shelf, but the competition too.  If I wanted to do all the research myself, I would.  Just because you sell it, doesn’t automatically mean it is better.  On the other side of the coin, just because you don’t sell it, doesn’t necessarily mean it is crap.  I may actually use some of that “inferior” gear, get offended and not come back.  I lost count of how many times I have hear something like “we only sell the best” or “this is the best brand.”  Best for what?  My favorite was when a local store told me I would have to sign a waiver of liability if I dove with them using my ScubaPro gear because ScubaPro gear was just so unsafe.   NO, they did not sell ScubaPro.

Competence…  I would like competent professional gear service. It would be sweet if the regulator did not free flow on my next dive and have to be brought back for adjustment.  If the best the repair tech can do it to get “close” to proper adjustment then at least give me some free pool time (in a deep pool) to test my gear.  On the topic of gear, it would be nice if a shop could tell me what service is needed, how much it cost and how long it will take then just do what they promised.  When I get my regulators back I would like all my used parts and a description of what was done. Not just “serviced.” It would be great if the price stayed the same as what was promised or I got a phone call discussion options before the price went up.

Compassion…  It would be great for the store I spend my hard earned scuba bucks to give some of that back to the community in a visible way.  Make me proud to be part of your “dive community.”  Sponsor dive parties for “A” students, donate to the local dive team, put up dive flag teaching posters at local boat landings, teach underserved kids to swim in your pool, volunteer teach a day of cool applied science at the local school, whatever, just get out there.

The harder stuff.

Pool… I would like a deep pool at the shop to take classes in, hone my skills, try out gear, party with other divers, whatever….  I know it is expensive to maintain a pool and I will have to pay for it in higher gear cost and a pool rental fee at times.  That is ok, it is worth it.  Remember I want a shop that sets the pace, not just keeps up with the others.

Convenience…. The idea of do it yourself air fills ROCKS!  If I can’t have that then I would like drive up air fills or some type of cart that I can pile my tanks on and wheel it up to the fill station.  If the shop can’t do either of these things, then how about making the fill station easy to get to by either placing it at the front of the store or having a clear path from your front door to the fill station.  The drive up air station could also be the same place I drop off all the wet rental gear I am returning. 

Support…   I would like a shop to support all types of diving, not just the one limited way they do it.  I have to drive all over town to check out “tech” gear, another store to discuss local diving, and another if I am going on a trip.  How about a shop that just knows the industry and supports it?  There is more than one way to dive, configure gear, one set of places to go on a trip, one “best brand” of dive training and so on.  Give me options and discuss them intelligently.   

Ok, caffeine is wearing off.  That is enough for now….

10-25-2007, 08:31 AM,
If Iceland can let the general public pump Liquid Hydrogen into their cars then we can make a self serve filling station.

RFID tags for O2 clean, Vip and Hydro on the tanks. Keycard access to station. Air or premix nitrox would removes pure 02 from the system so that only leaves the analyzing. The best part is you pay for the cubic foot.

I don't know trimix but I would think that's possible as well.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2007, 09:33 PM by aknelsonone.)
Yes there are fill stations at busy roads and you can park in front of it too!

The picture shows a private house across from a Restaurant in Mondsee Austria. Notice the small yellow box has the whips for the airfill station.javascript:replaceText(' ;D', document.postmodify.message);
Grin
The display box on the right has info material about local diving and store information.

Andreas

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00704.JPG (Size: 2.84 MB / Downloads: 196)
.jpg   DSC00704rmjpg.jpg (Size: 288.04 KB / Downloads: 175)
.jpg_thumb   DSC00704.JPG_thumb (Size: 32.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   DSC00704rmjpg.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.05 KB / Downloads: 0)
Andreas
10-26-2007, 01:47 PM,
great idea to have to have one that will have it all  be open for a few days than go bankrup Taking on dealerships from the suppliers cost money most of them you have to commit to min start up of about $2500.00 than maintain a sizeable amout every year if you don't you are no longer a dealer So you just might have to go store to store for all your needs
10-26-2007, 05:46 PM,
I'll accept that a store can't have everything but there is little reason to not "try before you buy".

How about this, no gas fill station, You lease the fill station! Make it a small pump and a 3 tank bank that runs on a 15 amp service and on a cart. Maintenance program is linked into your internet via wifi and the service truck comes by and replaces your filter and whatever.... (I'm guessing as I don't know jack about a fill station, sep that a compressor is way too $$$$) but the idea is correct. You lease the hardware and the 'air' is free.

If they can make a laptop for under $200 for developing countries they can make a compressor that's affordable. The banks will last for a hundred years if maintained so that's easy to cover. (post on TheDecoStop listed 1890 as a hydro date for some O2 tanks)

I get that they need to make money but cutting cost cuts more then fixed cost. I can't list all the times I wanted something and didn't buy because I couldn't try is right then. Take air cell and BP's. They must have 20 cuts/sizes all at ~$250. How many CAN I use and how many CAN I buy? I think I can own 2 more then I own but I have 2 I don't want so the LDS made the same money but didn't help me. Not their fault but it's not mine ether.

Ultimately, get me gear that works like a fish and only pulls the O out that I need without all the complexities of mixed gas and tox limits.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM,
The remote fill station does not work in North America mostly on Liability reasons I was told.
The shops are saying clearly that the tanks must be inspected annually. And that there is no money in filling tanks.

Interesting ... I am wondering what the real cost is filling a tank. This might shed a light on the real reason. javascript:void(0);
Huh

Technically the remote fill station is not impossible to be done in a safe and temper proof fashion

Andreas

Andreas