Remember me
Lost Password Register

If Evel Knievel was a diver...
12-09-2007, 09:06 AM,
Re: If Evel Knievel was a diver...
Interesting question  :Smile

I guess I kinda see Evil as an individual who pushed the outside edge of human limits.  He wanted to set SPECTACULAR records.  He was in it (personal opinion here) for the GLORY, the media attention, and the spectacle.  I agree with Grumpy that he probably spent a great deal of time planning and preparing.  He also had also spent a GREAT deal of his life training and learning through experience how to do these things. 
I suppose if he were a diver, he would be into the tech realm.  He would want to go deeper.  He would want to go farther.  He would want to use the new innovative equipment at the edge of technology.  He would also need to have everyone be amazed if he lived…
I have to admit that’s just not me.  I like to push personal limits, but overall I consider myself to be a very conservative and careful diver.  I don't go into a dive thinking.... well this is really gonna hurt if everything doesn't go just right or anything at all goes wrong  :o  I like to have redundant equipment and plans.  I guess I'm also very easily entertained  Big Grin I enjoy diving without having to push any limits.  Get me wet and I'm happy.
So I suppose my answer would hafta be NO.  I would not like to be a dive buddy for Evil Knievel.  We could probably not agree in advance on a dive plan I would like to do or more importantly that I would feel QUALIFIED to do safely.
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I guess I would not dive with Evel Knievel if he dove like he drove. His life style would lead me to believe that he would be the type of diver who was looking out for himself and no one else. He would probably be the type to bolt into the blue water and not care if you could not keep up. I think A diver when buddied up should only go at the pace of the slower person. The dive is supposed to be a shared experience and "Thrill-seekers" sometimes fail to share. I also kinda think he liked the fire-water a little too much to the point that the hangovers may affect what he was going to do the next day. I wonder if he crashed so many times because of this or just some bad calculations? The Snake River jump could not have been done successfully and this was probably just a publicity stunt. After all they all were publicity stunts. He was addicted to hearing "good job" and probably not doing it for the fun of the air time.
12-10-2007, 05:48 PM,

FreediverND, Sorry if I sounded uptight telling of my dream-retirement. No, I don't have a Chris-Craft either, but some day I would like one. I have an old Bayliner that I bought new back in '90. Its showing its age now but it still doesn't let me down after 17 years. I don't have 6 tanks either but I want to be so remote that I would not need to run them in too often to get filled. I haven't drank a drop since 1992 but maybe when my main responsibilities in life are done and my family is all moved out... Who knows maybe I'll try to find the bottom of a bottle again. Please accept my apology If I sounded like this was written in stone. This retirement dream just keeps me going. John