Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving Anyone?
01-31-2008, 07:02 AM,
Re: Ice Diving Anyone?
I just replied to someones message regarding diving this weekend, although I do not have a name, just a number.

It seems that equipment should not be a problem, we just need warm bodies at this point. I think we should have a minimum of 4 people, 5 would be better.

Destination is unknown at this point.

If you want to blow some bubbles this Saturday, please let us know so that we can get this thing organized and aren't scrambling at the last minute.

I will check this board this evening again, but just in case, why don't you just give me a call and leave a message, along with the lake you would like to dive. Also what equipment you plan to bring, better to have to much then not enough, plus sometimes, things just don't always work in the cold weather, better to have backup.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM,
Ice Dive this Saturday  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Weatherman says temps should be in the mid 20s with partly sunny/cloudy skies  8)  8)  Sounds like the perfect day for an ICE DIVE.

I just got o the phone with Arcflash and it looks like the location has been determined (drumroll please .......)  Goin up to Crosby and diving one of the pits.  Have not selected the specific one yet, that may be determined by which roads are open , and which of the lakes we can get too easily. 

When we open a hole, certified Ice divers are ALWAYS welcome...  No charge and no hassle.  We'll have everthing needed for ice diving.  All you need to bring is your personal gear.

01-31-2008, 06:49 PM,
CHANGE OF PLAN:

Location is Forest lake boat launch on the south end. Google maps shows it as 216th St N. We are looking for anchors, boats, and planes with the odds going to boats and anchors.

It's the ramp listed next to "gravel Pit"

Time is still TBD but It's probably 8 or 9. Art and I would sure like other divers but we're going!
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-31-2008, 07:05 PM,
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gonna be a GREAT day fer DIVIN  ;D
01-31-2008, 07:15 PM,
put me down as a maybe!  If you had stuck with the Crosby plan I would have been a no...  I still have a couple things to check on before I can say for sure, but I'll try to make it! 
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM,
mcdiver and I talked, We're going to muster at the ramp at 9am.

Tullibee, If you can make it that's 4.
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM,
Big Grin ;D Big Grin 8)
.....And it was a GREAT day to be under the ice!  ArcFlash Mcdiver, Tullibee and I all made it out onto the ice.  The air temp was moderate in the 20s.  The skies were cloudy sadly to say.  A bit of sun woulda helped.  The ice was pretty darn thick at about 20 inches already  No concerns driving our vehicles right up to our dive site.  Opening the hole was not an issue (no problemo with a chainsaw that has a 36" bar and a skiptooth chain).  When it came to getting the ice out we missed not having our buddy Shooter with his truck and plow (he makes getting the ice out REALLY simple).  The diving was nice and easy.  Viz was about 8' and we were diving over a silt bottom.  Apparently there was a spring not far from our dive site which helps to explain the lower visibility.  Since the temps were moderate we didn't bother to set up our shelter and dove out in the open.  We were quite pleased that even though we were diving out in the open the mosquitoes really werent that bad  :Smile.  We had lots of people, both kids and adults come over and watch (hopefully we got some of them interested in picking up a new winter sport  ;D ).  It was quite simply a wonderful and FUN group of divers. 
I had a GREAT time!  Thanks guys  8)
02-02-2008, 06:24 PM,
Felt good to get back under the ice after last February's mishaps. I was a little nervous to say the least, next time it will go much better.

Thanks again guys.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
02-03-2008, 09:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM by arcFlash.)
Lessons learned, DNR maps from the 60's can't be trusted. Smile Two of the listed public access were no longer...

Anyway, I'll do more research on location and next time we'll find it, right Mr. Fisher?

To help explain the poor vis, I was at 19 feet and the line was almost straight up and I couldn't make out ANY semblance of a hole. It didn't make even a phantom outline until 8 or 9 feet.

Thanks for the effort everyone !

02-08-2008, 10:44 AM,
[quote='arcFlash link' pid='4330' dateline='1202053607']
Lessons learned, DNR maps from the 60's can't be trusted. Smile Two of the listed public access were no longer...

Anyway, I'll do more research on location and next time we'll find it, right Mr. Fisher?

[/quote]

Attached Files
.jpg   ze plane, boss, ze plane.jpg (Size: 12.32 KB / Downloads: 53)