Remember me
Lost Password Register

best transportation cozumel
03-16-2008, 08:52 AM,
Re: best transportation cozumel
ScubaAl
You are right about Dive Paradise, large boats with a lot of people.
The only time I used them was a group trip from our local dive shop and we had the boats to ourselves every morning.
I have other friends use del mar aquatics and they had nice trips with them.
The place right next door Village TanKah, is the other place I stayed and used the diving that they had.
Scuba Shack I believe the name is.
I think any time I am diving is a good time, fortunate for me I have never had any bad experiences and I always meet great people,
I think all divers are the best!!
Happy diving....
03-16-2008, 10:13 PM,
I am not an expert on staying in Cozumel, but, have a handful of dives there. I stay in Playa del Carmen and make a couple trips to Coz for diving only. Just got back tonight.

Here's my thoughts and suggestions of the dive business there. Others may disagree, but, again it's just my experience, observations and research.
- I would suggest finding a dive shop that asks you alot of questions about your experience. It is one way they sort divers. The other might be by your first dive with them. Your most recent diving seems to be heavily weighted.
- Find a shop that uses "fast" or "six pack" boats, and at least two or more. This way they can split the experience levels. If they primarily use larger boats, the experience levels will be mixed and you'll be diving to the lowest experience level on "practice reefs".
- 100 ft may be the deepest they would plan.
- Larger tanks are not always to extend dive time. They may be offered to heavy breathers.
- You mentioned 3 dives per day. Your third dive would be the afternoon dive and probably after returning back to the dock. These afternoon dives are usually shallow (60' or less) and could be a mix of diver experience again, including Discover Scuba and training type dives.
- Find a shop that dives by computer and/or air consumption. Some dive by time.
- If you email them and get no response, try calling. Some email has a hard time going either direction.

I know you don't need coddling, but, a shop I just used was Blue XT Sea Diving. Their cost is slightly higher, but it was reflected in their service. Being downtown was a plus for me.

There are maps available of Coz at that may help with logistics. Lot's of info.

And lastly, use a Taxi. For the daily cost of a car you'll save some coin.
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM,
I have dove with Del Mar Aquatics once in the past. Not a bad experience, but it was on a "cattle boat". Seems to me they are mostly (if not all) larger boats, which means lots of divers. I now dive with Scuba Shack. As was already mentioned, primarily recreational, but great service and small boats. I am very pleased with them. If you end up on a six-pack boat, my experience has been the dive site is chosen by the group of divers on the boat, sometimes with recommendations by the divemaster. On occassion, the divemaster may overrule a dive site if conditions are not favorable. The far south sites (Punta Sur and Maracaibo) would require you to prearrange a trip with the shop and cost a little more. I would not expect to ditch the SCUBA police. The area is a National Park and requires a permit to dive ($2 per day). The divemasters go through training to conform with the requirements to dive in the park. So they in effect are an arm of the SCUBA police. In addition, they make their living off of tips. It would not benefit them to take you out and just cut you loose on your own.

The Lonely Planet book on Cozumel has some good info on the island and dive sites. It might be helpful for you to pick up a copy to help research the sites. Particularly for your shore dives. It might make it easier for you to plan the beginning and end points of your shore dives and then coordinate a plan for transportation accordingly. Just a thought.

03-17-2008, 01:09 PM,
;D Thanks for all the suggestions  ;D  I am already formulating dive plans ;D  I think we will take a day and tour the ruins and the zip line through the jungle.

We did end up renting a car, because we are staying on the north end. It was only $140. Managed airfare, at around $400 each.
03-17-2008, 01:33 PM,
Given that you rented a car, I would also buzz down "the other side" of the island. It is worth seeing and there are a couple of bar/restaurants along the way.

Sounds like you have a nice package deal for a good price. Have a good time.
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM,

You can add me to the list who like BlueXTSea, as well as LiquidBlueDivers.  I like LBD a little better due to steel 120's being the typical tank they use!  Christi and the boys at BXTS would probably spoil you too much - but fresh-baked goodies really aren't too tough to handle!  Roberto and Michaela at LBD will tailor your diving based on your experience level (usually they'll have you do a regular day so they can evaluate skills, but most ops do the same anyway), but you may be limited by other people's skill levels.  if you've got a big enough group, it might be worth it to charter the whole boat, then you REALLY get input on where you go.  I also had good luck with Living Underwater a number of years ago, but haven't used them lately.  And have also heard good things about bluebubble.  One of the DM's with LB is an avid spear-fisherman, so you might be able to hook up for non-traditional diving...  I threatened the last time I was there to make him take me out some afternoon for some hunting, but we didn't get it worked in...

since you've got the car, definitely make a leisurely day out of a trip to "the other side"...  hang out at Coconuts to enjoy the view, and have a cheeseburger in paradise at Mescalito's for sure - there are a few other spots to pop into as well, but those are the highlights in my book.  disclaimer if you're bringing the kids - those places have been known to have the occasional patrons "showing off their assets" - if you know what I mean (and there are photo albums with some notable examples too)

another warning for renting a vehicle - observe the speed limits and seatbelt rules (and make sure you've got a "spare" $20 in your wallet in case you don't actually do anything wrong).  I've never run into any of the "unscrupulous officers", but I've heard enough stories to believe they exist!

I know Prima's is closing, but not sure when - if they're still open, GO THERE!  the combo pasta fra diavolo is great, and the cajun shrimp & scallops is fabulous.  El Morro for shrimp on a wire or Casa Dennis for Red Snapper Charlie Style are also worthy of a tasting.  If you feel the need for a picnic - there's a roasted chicken shack at about 6th and 30th that is hard to beat - whole chicken, tortillas, cabbage and spaghetti noodles for about $6.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-24-2008, 04:33 PM,
You'll need ta tell me when yer goin and how long you'll be there.  As ya know Aly and I just got back :Smile

I can give ya some fresh advice on food and dive sites.  8)
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM,
For the best food, get out of the tourist areas.  I like to eat at "the 30 pesos place", but I think last time I was there it was more like 45 pesos for a huge meal.  I eat where the locals eat.

I know you already rented a car, but you can walk from the North end of town to the southern end.  But then I would rather walk 1-2 miles for the exercise since it is hard to fit in runs on a dive trip. (I don't mean the bathroom kind!)

I've used Blue Bubbles, Del Mar Aquatics, Aqua Safari, Scuba Shack and 1-2 more I can't remember.  I have heard of a guy from MN that runs a place called "Living Underwater" or something like that.  He doesn't have a store front, but will take you on perhaps more advanced dives.  Having said that, be sure to bring your log book.  I've been to CZM a dozen times and on occasion they will ask to see your log book.  We all know, an "advanced Certification" is only a ticket to learn more.  It is a bit of a misnomer.  You get to be an advanced diver by logging dives!

The area up by Baracuda Reef is notorious for rip currents- so the ops typically want you to be advanced to dive there.

Have fun!
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM,
;D 9 days and counting down ;D
04-09-2008, 06:03 PM,
Shooter, make sure you go to El Morro
Best food and value I've had in Coz.