Remember me
Lost Password Register

If you could choose just one dive site in Minnesota
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM,
Re: If you could choose just one dive site in Minnesota
I have been around I just like diving all the local spots. If you have to go to all the fancy places with 100 feet of vis and able too dive two hundred feet straight down may be your missing the boat.
Just being able to drive a couple of hrs and have fun diving with other divers is what its all about isn't it.
you dont need a dive shop or club, all you need is a grill and a cooler full of soda-pop and have a good time. take the coffee club, we meet have some coffe show videos and talk about where to go this summer.
grumpie..........
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM,
Personally if I could only dive one site I would likely quit. The draw for me is to see what's down there or what's not down there. Growing up around so many lakes has made me curious to what is in them. Some of the best parts of diving for me are the people I meet or looking forward to something new. I like the planning part almost as much as the diving part. So many lakes and so little time.
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM,
Not to dodge the original question, but I am thinking along the same lines as doogles. I enjoy diving locally and believe it helps to improve our skills as divers. I think if you you were limited to only one site for the rest of your life, that no matter how large and diverse, it would like become old hat eventually. So for me I would just be happy that I am still able to dive locally and make the most of the site.....wherever it happens to be.
03-26-2008, 08:05 AM,
I'd have to say the Madeira.  Although if I have to dive the site the rest of my life then I want the state to install some sort of gear transport system.  I always feel like diving in Superior feels more "real" than diving in a quarry.  Yes it is cold, but I've done some warmer dives in Sept that were just magical.
--Jason
03-26-2008, 11:06 AM,
I haven't done OreBGone or Lake Mine or St.James so this is based on my limited experience. Each site on my list is several hours from the TC's  so I factored that out and asked myself which ones I would dive the most and came up with this list (reverse order).

#3. Madeira: I really liked diving here. I just think I would get bored of diving here repeatedly. Now if the wreck was more in tact and bit more interesting it might sway my decision. Other points against (for me) are humping the gear and weather/water conditions that can rule it out for lots of fellow divers who can't do that much cold or can't afford to dive dry. Cold surface swims out or back (for wetsuit divers) take the fun out of it too quickly and often they sit out second or 3rd dives.

#2. Louise: I know, I know everyone has been there and done that (100's of times). This even surprised me. However, I always seem to have a good dive there, viz is always great, a excellent place to experiment with the camera and all types of gear, easiest access possible and you can literally camp feet away from your dive site. Plus, lots of other divers to visit and hang out with. There's always a concern about riffraff but in all the years there we've never had a problem with them.

#1. Bad Medicine: I like diving the lakes in the Detroit Lakes, Park Rapids area. But I really like diving this lake. And it's a natural lake vs something man-made. As a kid I loved snorkeling there. The viz can be very good for a minnesota lake, I like the lack of vegetation, seeing crayfish, plenty of other interesting fish and it's a big enough lake that there is still lots of area to explore. However, a boat would be a must to keep this in 1st place. It's on the reservation so I worry a bit more about the vehicle being broken into here versus the encourageables messing with it up at Crosby. But not enough to knock it out of 1st place. This lake used to be even clearer so maybe it will just keep getting worse given modern development, but that would be my biggest concern with this long term pick.
03-26-2008, 06:58 PM,

Jason
You could just buy a boat. ;D
Bob
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM,
;D ;D ;D

Maybe I should throw a disclaimer here  :Smile I'm easily entertained.  Show me a glimpse of the underwater world in any of our lakes and I'm happy.  I tend to find new things to look at, new stuff to learn, and just generally have a great time anytime I go.  I just got back from diving in the Carribean and although I had a great time there, I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to getting out and doing my next dive here.

Favorite divesite in Minnesota (if I could only dive just one).....
Lets see from the posts so far...
Superior is to too cold (nonsense - Wet or dry ya just need ta dress for it).
The pits are too popular (nonsense - ya just need to go when it's not busy FALL IS GREAT).

How about a natural lake that is "clearer" than the mines, warmer than Superior, and the bottom is littered with historical artifacts... and ta top it off I may be the only one (so far) ta ever dive it.... Cruiser Lake in Voyageur's National Park.  The only minor problem is getting there ( but isn't the challenge part of the fun!).

A close second would have to be Caribou up north of Grand Rapids. This lake has held it's place as one of the top three clearest lakes in the state for quite a while (stats courtesy of the CLMP).  Forty+ viz and another splendid natural lake filled with fish and sunken timber and rarely sees many people at all. 
03-29-2008, 11:08 AM,

I would have to disagree.  Seventy some dives on the wreck and I am still discovering new things like the hidden porthole two years ago and the picture frame last year. The difference is focusing on the small picture rather than the big - details.
Todd
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM,
That cool, but put in another 70 something dives on it as see if you feel the same way.  Of course looking for the small stuff is the way to go...i just dont see ONE WRECK as being enough of a LIFE LONG challenge...Granted...i could spend a very long time diving the Milwaukee (car ferry) and never get tired of it as there is so much to see, but even that wreck..would leave me wanting after enough time...but this is just MY opinion..
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM,
Kind of a silly question (if we only had one dive site, I’d hope we’d either move or get a different hobby / sport).  But here is my nicest dive site in Minnesota.  (Note, Madeira is nice, but I consider it close to Minnesota (off-shore) not in Minnesota, and St. James Pit and Lake Mine are also nice, but only when they have good visibility)…  My choice is…..

Feigh Mine.  North of the entry.  In depths of 40’ – 180’ (or to the black layer, whichever comes first). 

The visibility is usually very good.  The black layer tends to be deeper than the other mines in the area.  Not too much junk (some people like diving through helicopters and past abandoned sail boats, I however could care less).  Beautiful wall.  Spooky horizontal mine shaft. Little boat traffic.  Usually, little dive traffic.  Picturesque topside setting. 

The only downside is it is not the most diver friendly entry.  The walk from the car park to the water is on a moderately long yet rather steep path.  I leave the scooter in the car.  I no longer dive there on hot days in the summer, due to risk of heat stroke getting to the water in dry suit, dry gloves, and hood, lugging big double tanks. - Kirk