Remember me
Lost Password Register

one more ice dive? 4-5 or 4-6
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM,
Re: one more ice dive? 4-5 or 4-6
Did you hear from Art?

If Art can't make it. I can get the gear like last time but not until after 9. I have to be in Andover to get tanks anyway.  Otherwise, weather Saturday is suppose to be better, maybe even dry. Sunday is all rain.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-04-2008, 06:20 PM,
DNR map shows the access is at the NE end of the penninsula - correct?

I'll toss my el cheapo fish camera in so we can drop it in to check out the sites before we cut a big hole...

I'd rather dive Saturday due to the forecast, but open to either.  (can't play too late on Sunday, but it sounds like we'd be done plenty early anyway)

Jon
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
04-04-2008, 07:25 PM,
Sunday at 9:30am at the ramp.

I'll stop by Art's and get the gear we are missing. I'll call Shooter when I have the last of the gear and head to the lake. He'll be searching for the site on the lake.

Tullibee, I'll send you my cell number tomorrow.
04-05-2008, 09:04 AM,

Inside the horseshoe
04-05-2008, 03:05 PM,
Just got back from the lake, plenty of ice.  I would say  close to 30 inches of good clear ice. I almost contemplated driving the diesel powered ice removal system. But I dropped the plow this morning  Sad . Ice diving is kind of like real estate  ;D location, location, location ;D a buddy of mine who fishes the lake regularly for the last 20 years met me out there today. Will be setting up in 15 feet of water. 100 feet toward shore, it drops to single digits.  100 feet the other direction close to 30 feet  ;D  8) .  There is a 50 foot hole on the lake I contemplated diving, but I know Baldwin County has trained out there regularly,  So any treasures have probably been recovered.  Art,  I will bring the camera and try to post some video later.  Sorry you couldn't make it, we probably won't find the mother lode >Big Grin

Anyone else who wants to dive be  at the landing at around 9 a.m.
04-06-2008, 01:13 PM,
Location appeared to be good from the fish finder. Depth was right, but bottom wasn't.  Ended up on top of a large weed bed.  Minimal vis of about 10 feet.  Lot of particle in the water.  Setup was a breeze.  Still had about 30 inches of ice.  I cut a ramp and we pulled it out with the Wheeler in one piece. I managed to get two dives in and a lot of exercise. Beats the hell outta running on the treadmill! No treasure today Sad 
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM,
no treasure, but I think a good time was had by all...  (I enjoyed it anyway - even with the rain!)

thanks for coming out to play guys!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
04-07-2008, 09:09 AM,
"...a good time was had by all"

Um, I could have done without my little issue. 3 minutes bottom time just isn't worth the work. Smile

I'm glad Shooter finally logged some dives.  He's been my personal line tender long enough so I'm happy to return the favor.

04-07-2008, 09:33 AM,
OK, a better time was had by most... Wink Wink
I guess we'll have to work on you to keep your fingers out of the area you had trouble in! Smile  Have you ever looked into the saline rinse deals?  I've heard from others prone to nosebleeds that have gotten good results from using a Neti pot or some of the pre-packaged nasal rinses.  I've thought about trying it lately after my last sinus infection.

I noticed when I got home that my watch evidently had trouble logging the dive - it showed up as a free dive of 2 minutes to 13 feet...  the water sensor must have been caught in a fabric fold or something since it was in my BC pocket instead of on my wrist.  (either that or it had an issue with the temperature).
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM,
I've only had this happen twice while diving. This was the only one that made me terminate a dive. (for those thinking it, no it's not from any compartment something or other). I'm reasonably convinced it's from careless nose pinching. I felt great and had no reason to suspect trouble.