Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cancun
02-12-2003, 11:33 AM,
Re:Cancun
I was wondering, cenote's are caverns right? So do you need cave or some other certification for overhead envoirnments to dive these?
02-12-2003, 12:06 PM,
Actually for the caverns (not the caves) you do not need cave training as they are "guided" dives. That being said, you would do well to have some diving experience beyond basic open water training and good buoyancy skills to get the most out of the dives and to not destroy the speleothems (formations like stalagtites).
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
02-12-2003, 01:45 PM,
Yes, they are caverns. They are distinguished by caves based on their size and the distance between the diver and an egress point -- either 150ft (or yards?). The dives are guided by a certified cave diver. I recommend that you have at least 20 dives, and comfortable bouyancy control before doing these dives.

I know that there is a cavern certification. But I don't know what this certification allows you to do.
--Jason
02-12-2003, 01:54 PM,
The difference between caves and caverns is that in a cavern you shuold be able to see daylight at all times, whereas with a cave that's not the case. This also implies that you should have direct access to the surface at all times in a cavern.
Cavern training consists of optimizing gear, learning how to run a guideline, the importance of redundant lighting, proper bouyancy skills and posture, the ecology of different types of caverns, and most importantly: to never, ever, ever go into a cave without further training (unless you have a desire to die, and then I'd recommend jumping in front of a train so that trained cavedivers won't have to pull your stupid *** out of a cave).
Cavern training is usually a 2-day 4-dives course involving some class room work and land drills, unless you decide to go for the PADI cavern cert, which you get for looking at a cavern in a magazine.
02-12-2003, 02:22 PM,
ROTFLMAO ;D
02-12-2003, 02:34 PM,
DRE:
Without a doubt, I can definately say you've added your own flavor of spice to the board... thanks for the laugh.
02-12-2003, 05:05 PM,
'or you can forget the scuba gear and cert and just hold your breath..

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-02-2003, 07:52 PM,
Hello everyone!
We´ve been fighting the mighty east wind here in paamul and have not gotten in a scuba dive yet... the snorkeling has been limited to swimming 1/2 mile off shore to the reefs and very rough. Today to cozumel for some good shore diving and finally some calm water. Tomorrow to Akumal to look for calm water and a bit deeper.
Hasta Luego!
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?