Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: What scuba products do you purchase online?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BCD's
14.29%
4 14.29%
Regulators
25.00%
7 25.00%
Wetsuits
21.43%
6 21.43%
t-shirts and accessories
39.29%
11 39.29%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

buying online
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM,
Re: buying online
I've bought gear from both brick-and-mortar and online stores.  Basically anything I really need to size I will only buy from the LDS. It isn't worth the hassle trying to size the right product online. One corollary to that is the halcyon gear I purchased years ago.  We didn't have any local dealers at the time so I had to order online. 

This is an age old debate.  The fact is that online dive shops are here to stay and we seem to have as many dive shops as ever in the Twin Cities area.  Shops have been closing but new shops have been opening over the past two years.  So obviously there is a changing business model that is maintaining traction in this market.  I think it is because local shops can still compete on training... service... travel... etc
--Jason
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM,
valid points! I have supported my LDS the only thing that I bought offline was my wetsuit everything else was done at my LDS. after reading all this I think its a very wise choice to support your LDS but sometimes the online can be convient.
04-25-2008, 07:52 AM,

I hear you with that one lots of people asking now where do I get air now and get my equipment serviced. Sending them to Duluth dive shops
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM,

Yes good point. Wink
05-16-2008, 07:12 PM,
I bought my new & used stuff from people & LDS on this site.  Does that count as on-line?
05-30-2008, 09:47 PM,
The first year that I started teaching, I had a DiveRite BC problem. The stiching that held the backplate wing together came apart and the bladder was protruding. With a quick call to Richard at SD&T the following Monday, the BC was soon on it's way back to DiveRite where it was immediately replaced, no questions asked.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
05-31-2008, 12:54 AM,
Bought a reg on ebay in "good working condition" ended up throwing it away because the internals were corroded to hell and the reg was shot. So that's the lesson.

-Beefey
06-01-2008, 03:16 PM,
How many local dive shops have online outlets? How many dive shop owners have sold on E-Bay? How many dive shop owners have made purchase online?
The internet is here to stay, might as well get use to it and move on. I buy local when ever possible, but sometimes the internet is "[i]My [i]best option."
Al
06-01-2008, 03:51 PM,
local dive shops around here do a pretty good job being competitive. sometimes its not a question about supporting a local dive store when its specialty gear that no one stocks, plus if you want custom gear, it makes more sense to go to the source.

for general gear its much easier and faster to go try out stuff at a dive shop

one thing lacking around mn is freediving equipment, does any store really handle that?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2008, 07:39 PM by aknelsonone.)
local dive shops around here do a pretty good job being competitive. sometimes its not a question about supporting a local dive store when its specialty gear that no one stocks, plus if you want custom gear, it makes more sense to go to the source.
for general gear its much easier and faster to go try out stuff at a dive shop

I second above summarry.
It is important for the local businesses to be "streetsmart" with the internet and the local competition. If there is no demand and you have to order special anyway offer a competitive price this will retain the regular customer buying local. It is the loyalty thing...

As most of us I hate to pay for ballparks I can not afford and will not use any way.... Make the calculation what comes cheaper shipping charges or local taxes it is your choice

Regards Andreas

Andreas