Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR
01-07-2003, 10:23 AM,
Re:DIR
----------------
Darn! Paul got me interested in a DIR hose setup. I played around a little (in my basement I hate to admit) with BC, tank and reg and found that a long hose relieves the side-and- down pull of the short hose. Also, having the backup right under the chin is a secure feeling, isn't it. Soooo... I ordered a set of hoses from 5th D. First step in the direction of the DIR side! I'm beginning to like your wing and plate more and more
----------------
I haven't tried it yet but I do like the concept of the long primary and backup under the chin as well. Dir was primarily invented for close environment's like wrecks and caves but hey I can imagine other situations where the freedom of motion would be great.
Leon
01-07-2003, 10:31 AM,
Quote: freedom of motion would be great.

It is. Wink

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-07-2003, 11:22 AM,
Yeah...Dan, like I said, once you try it you will really notice the benefits this gear configuration really adds to your diving it's great.
01-07-2003, 01:12 PM,
From what little I have read, it seems like everyone can benefit from looking at at least something from DIR.
I can see from my (future) love of wreck diving that I could benefit from these things. So my question is,
is there anywhere on the Internet (I would assume "YES") that you can look at and/or order such things as
longer hoses etc...
I have already checked out gue.com and was impressed. What I am looking for is the supplier of some of these
DIR recommendations (probably the wrong word, but oh well)

Thanks again in advanced...
Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-07-2003, 02:24 PM,
Jean, try these links.

01-07-2003, 05:58 PM,
Gp is correct. Your can order hose kits from 5th D, Halcyon or Exteme Exposure. I'll bring my setup to the pool on Saturday so you can take a look at it and I will show you how the air shraring works. I want to remind everyone that DIR is much more than gear configuration. That is just the start. The biggest advantage is that my buddy and myself are configured exactly alike and dive exactly the same way . We leave nothing to chance or personal preference. The entire process follows a specific logic. Paul
01-07-2003, 07:17 PM,
Paul,
I'm on my way, but don't think I'll be all the way by August!
Close enough, I hope.
Dan
Dan L
01-08-2003, 09:01 AM,
i am a new diver and am not really interested
in wreck or cave diving but this DIR sounds good to me.

there has to be a better way than what i was rigged
with in my class and rentals. the hoses stick out
and float all over the place!
01-08-2003, 10:11 AM,
Thanks for the reply...One question though (and I don't mean to sound dippy here)...
In my case, I went down to Florida by myself. I had to dive with different buddies with different skill levels.
I usually don't have the luxury of diving with the same people all the time.
But I am not staying out of the water by any means. I am always trying to learn new things (new to me, of course) and get the appropriate training I need to always dive safely!!!
(I.E. Not diving beyond my skill level)
Actually , I stopped by my LDS last night , and they are starting to embrace the DIR philosophies as we speak (which I think is great!!!)
They will be starting to incorporate new things into their classes this year. So I will definately get exposure...
As they say , a good diver is *ALWAYS* learning...

Oh, and thanks for the links !!! I will check them out.

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-08-2003, 10:51 AM,

"Actually , I stopped by my LDS last night , and they are starting to embrace the DIR philosophies as we speak"

Which store is that? The two likely stores in town, GUDC and SD&T, won't touch DIR with a 10 foot pole. At GUDC I was told that DIR was no better than what they were already teaching, so why change. One of the guys there felt that GUE was an accident waiting to happen. As far as SD&T goes, the owner has said that most of the DIR guys he has met in cave country are $ssholes. Allowing us to use his place for the DIR Fundamentals class was as far as he was willing to go.

Are the stores actually talking DIR or just gear changes?

The big question now is who wants to take the GUE Recreational Triox course.

JoelW