Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIN ?
01-27-2003, 12:02 PM,
Re:DIN ?
To screw in the DIN reg into the valve the torque is handtight. To swap out the DIN for the yoke, overtighting is definitely not a good idea as it could damage the o-ring - I usually tighten it with lightly so I just cannot back it off by hand.

As for lubrication, as long as it is a static o-ring (meaning one that doesn't seal anything that swivels) I do not use lubrication. If you're swapping between DIN and yoke on a very regular basis it might be a good idea to keep those o-rings slightly lubricated.

Oh and Todd, I don't even have a clue how to change the oil on my vehicle, but I do know how to service my regs.
01-27-2003, 12:29 PM,
Joel mentions an important point: you can use a 300 BAR reg fitting in a 200 BAR valve (I don't recommend this), but you can NOT use a 200 BAR reg fitting with a 300 bar valve. The problem with the 300 BAR reg fitting/200 BAR valve is that you will still have some of the threads on the reg fitting sticking out of the valve. This makes me uncomfortable as it exposes the threads to damage (not the end of the world if it happens, but it will trash your reg DIN fitting). The difference between 200 and 300 BAR is in the thread depth. I used to know it off the top of my head but I can't remember right now: I think the 200 BAR has 5 threads and the 300 BAR 7 or something like that.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
01-27-2003, 12:33 PM,
Oh, and in regards to the torque setting, the exact specification is "snug." ;D One of these days I'll get a torque wrench because following the manufacturer's specs is probably a good idea. However, for now "snug" is the only setting on my wrench. Try it a couple of times and you will get the feel.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
01-27-2003, 12:36 PM,
I agree, it's very easy to change from DIN to yolk. I have the benefit of a good teacher (he's cute too Wink), but once someone shows you how to do it it's a cinch!

I'm learning to sevice my gear, and to switch out regs from single tank diving to doubles diving, and it's really simple. I still need a little guidance once in a while, but the more you do it the easier it gets! I figure if I do something wrong, I can only be mad at myself, and besides, in the long run I'd rather learn to do it myself than to trust someone else to service my regs.

My Dad had his regs serviced by the same trusted technician at a local shop for the last 20 years and on two seperate occassions his regs failed to deliver air in the middle of a dive -now the technician may be a little suspect, as well as the regs (20 year old Scubapro), but I know that I don't want to trust my gear maintainence and servicing to someone else. If I service my own gear, I know the exact condition at all times. Plus liek DRE pointed out, with a good knowledge base and spare parts kit, you won't have to call a dive just because of a gear problem. .

Now, I know everyone is going to write back saying that only certified technicians should ber servicing regs, so if you're happy with that great! But when push comes to shove, I want to know the exact condition of my regs at all times.

Safe diving,
~groovekitty*
01-27-2003, 02:01 PM,
If you and those you dive with (that counts too) are comfortable with your gear servicing abilities then I think thats great. I meant only to say that not EVERYONE is nor SHOULD everyone be.

So DRE, let me know when you want help with that oil change.
Tongue
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.