Remember me
Lost Password Register

Split fins: why not DIR?
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM,
Re:Split fins: why not DIR?
I know, I know.

I won the gun off of the Freedive Hawaii site a couple of years ago. The thing was free, and it sells for about $300 new, so I can't complain. It really is too long for around here because we don't always have enough vis to see to the very end.

My dive buddy, Ted, has a JBL 38 magnum that is the perfect size for around here. He was about to buy a Riffe MTO when he found a guy in Hawaii who will make him a teak one that was short enough to use aorund here. He should have it in a few more weeks. Maybe I'll get a new gun by the end of the summer. Ted keeps telling me to throw it on Ebay and use the moneyto get something shorter. The only problem is that it is a REALLY nice gun.

What are you using for a gun? Or, are you just using a pole spear?

Here is a shot of Ted and his smaller gun. I have too much money invested in cameras to start buying all kinds of guns that I can't afford.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   Ted_aims.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.05 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-13-2003, 05:36 PM,
Yours looks like a riffe.. I have an elcheapo Mares Explorer 50 and a no-name, old as the hills, gun. Both are less than 30" long. The mares has a louzy trigger, but does work fine I guess. I've snagged some good size carp and a bunch of suckers with them. I really plan on a trip to Sakakawea this summer as game fish are legal for the taking in ND. I would like to latch on to just one huge northern pike.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-14-2003, 07:40 AM,
Freediver WI said:
I have too much money invested in cameras to start buying all kinds of guns that I can't afford.

Isn't that the truth (about cameras). Darn things can be *SO* spendy !!! And if you don't use them enough, makes it seem like a waste of money.

Thanks...Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-14-2003, 08:42 AM,
oh dear, all this talk of spear guns makes me wonder,

are the DIR folks going to hunt me and my split fins???? :o
03-14-2003, 09:12 AM,
Nah,

just your split fins Wink
03-14-2003, 09:18 AM,

and my BC, my short hose, my octo, my console.... Tongue

i am just one big giant target...

why aren't DIR configs/procedures taught in OW?
seems like it would be better than all the hanging
hoses and flapping gear one has to learn with....
03-14-2003, 10:24 AM,
They're not taught in openwater becaue you would only buy your gear once. Dive shops need you to replace everything at least once or twice to stay in buisness. Wink

I do have one friend who is starting a new shop with DIR gear in rental. He is also the one who is offering the DIR-F class through his store, in Milwaukee, this June.

My father-in-law happens to run two charter boats on Lake Michigan. While working on his boat I have noticed an ever growing number of divers who are showing up with DIR set-ups. I have also noticed that there is a lot less work to do when DIR divers show up on the boat. This is because they are better organized and seem to know how to dive- which means that there are fewer that I need to go swim for and rescue. ;D

That doesn't mean that I never see non-DIR divers who can dive. They are out there and do occasionaly show up, it's just that I know when people show up rigged in Dir gear I should have an easy day ahead of me.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-14-2003, 11:10 AM,
Scuba Dive and Travel in Minneapolis will be offering OW classes to students that want to use a DIR/H2 gear configuration. I think shops don't offer this training because many shop owners/instructors aren't trained to use this gear configuration nor do they carry the gear in their shop. You also need to tweak the OW skill training to support this gear.
--Jason
03-14-2003, 08:18 PM,
I've always thought that BOW may not be the best intro to H2/DIR. Most students, for awile at least, will rent gear instead of buying it. Going on vacation, renting gear significantly different then what you are trained with, coupled with inexperience, would not make a relaxing trip. On the other hand, it would probably help sales, and encourage purchases right off the get go. Maybe a quick demo to show what you need to buy for later down the road.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom