Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving workout
03-13-2003, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2003, 04:45 PM by freedivernd.)
Re:Diving workout
I picked up a BCI digit oximeter off e-bay...not sure if you can still get them there or not :-\ I'll tell you the price if you don't tell my wife.. it was pushing the $350 mark. It is interesting to watch the numbers. Something I am curious about now is that when I do empty statics, in no time at all my h.r. drops to low 30's - upper 20's, no matter what it was to begin with.. sa02 drops to low 70's, but when I do full lung statics, I'm totally contracting and fighting to get my sa02 down to the low 90's or high 80's and my h.r. much below 40. (I might mention that it only works dry, not under the water, but I can check myself at the end of dynamic) One thing that tells me is that it is a lot healthier to be doing full lung statics, but for oxygen depletion training (if there is such a thing) is best done on empty lung statics. Another thing it tells me is that full lung statics are better training for co2 tolerance. Next thing on the list.. a co2 monitor.
Well, it's interesting anyway.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-13-2003, 05:12 PM,
$350 is a lot of cash right now. My wife won't go fo that one until I sell of a drysuit or something. Wink

I have never tried to wear my H.R. monitor for statics. I just know that when my head gets warm and face flushes that I am done fighting the contractions.

I really should get back on the wagon practicing my 02/C02 tables. I have been playing underwater hockey 1-2 nights a week and started doing yoga three nights a week. I also try and get in the pool once a week to swim some laps and play with my monofin. The last couple of weekends I've been lucky enough to get out and do some real diving for a few hours at a time.

Last fall I spent a lot of time in the gym doing apnea running of the XC ski machine. I also added in some negative pyramid weight routines a couple of days a week- 100 reps to failure, dropping the weight every 10 reps. I then switched to the pool for a while and now am working on my rib cage flexibility.

I know that Eric Fattah has himself hooked up to all kinds of gadgets at home when he trains. I think that he is an E.E. and made most of them himself. He is pretty extreme, but that's what it takes to be a world record holder.

How does a C02 monitor attach??

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-14-2003, 01:54 PM,
Wow. I am so lazy compared to the rest of you. If I'm lucky I swim about 1/2 mile 2-3 x/week. Just remember, your metabolism continues to slow as you age, so in order to maintain the same level of fitness, you'll have to increase your workouts as time goes on. That's my excuse.. Smile
03-14-2003, 02:22 PM,
I just bought a treadmill last week. I have been playing with the target heartrate feature.

Hopefully this will help get me in a littel better shape for the summer.
03-14-2003, 02:51 PM,
I smoke, drink beer and diet coke... It's my thought that the arm movement involved is good for the surface swim and motion to check my computer and pressure guage.
03-14-2003, 02:54 PM,
DIET COKE!

What kind of an extreme health-nut are you? Next thing you'll be telling me you don't eat meat or something. Wink

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-14-2003, 03:04 PM,
LOL
Hey now, let's not go THAT far!!! ;D
03-14-2003, 10:51 PM,
No matter what type of exercising one intends to do ( cardio, weights ),..Some is better than none !

When a body increases exercise level, it responds in many ways. The most noticable are increases in heart and breating rates. The reason for these icreases can be found on the cellular level. Oxygen is required for all cells in the body to do any amount of work. When the workload of the cells increases their oxygen needs increase as well. The body responds by increasing the blood flow to the cells ( increase in heart rate ), and maintaining the oxygen content of the blood ( increase in resparation ). If the need for oxygen is sustained, the vascular system ( arteries and veins ) will respond by increasing their diameter, allowing even more blood and oxygen delivered to the cells.

If exercise is repeated, pulmonary ( lung ), cardio ( heart ), and vascular systems will become stronger, larger, and more efficient. What does this mean for diving ?

Improved cardiovascular fitness will result in ...Lower gas consumption rates ! More bottom time ;D

Increased lung function from exercise will improve gas exchange. Better O2 delivery to the cells, better elimination of CO2 from the cells( which contributes to Oxygen Tox and Nitrogen Narc ), and improved removal of Nitrogen during decompression.

So even if it takes a few long walks, some exercise is better than none!
03-16-2003, 08:40 AM,
Jon,
all the co2 monitors I'm aware of measure through a mask on the exhale.. haven't checked into them much, but they do show up on e-bay once in awile.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?