Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving
11-07-2008, 04:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM by mcdiver.)
Re: Ice Diving
The dive store has a couple of big "tents" that we will be using for the class, although I have never set them up yet, my understanding is that they are pretty big.

I will have to take a trip to Christmas Lake before the water gets hard. I guess the public boat launch "area" is really shallow and that a person would have to drive quite far onto the lake to get to some decent depth.

Arcflash, are you up for a dive on Christmas Lake next Sunday, Nov. 16th? I would put my GPS into a dry box and drag it along in the dive float so that if there were something of interest, we could get a coordinate. Or..... we could meet and dive at Green Lake near Cambridge, you make the call.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
11-08-2008, 08:06 AM,
Hi Dave, I'll dive with you. The 16th should be good. I have a dive on the 15th but I haven't got the conformation of the date.

It may be difficult or impossible to swim to a good location on ether lake but I'm willing to try.

If the class is in Jan maybe we can get out in Dec. If we get 5 inches of clear ice (MN DNR list 5 inches for ATV's) I would think we could walk out to the site and with that little ice, cutting a hole is a snap. Moving around shouldn't be an issue.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-12-2008, 10:29 PM,
Sounds good buddy, I will plan on diving Sunday with you then. Did you want to go to Christmas Lake or Green Lake? I will leave it up to you. I know I missed you last winter on the ice dive at Green, so I will leave it up to you as to which may be a better ice dive come January.

I will give you a call this weekend to confirm.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
11-13-2008, 12:53 PM,
DetectorGuy are you available Sunday to come dive with Dave and I? You know Green better then I.

I only dove Christmas once and for an ice dive the vis sucked and I expect it's all soft bottom. Green (so far) is mostly hard bottom with maybe a inch or two of silt.

11-13-2008, 01:38 PM,
If your going to christmas lake to dive, try going in by the pump house.
grumpie
11-13-2008, 02:08 PM,
Thanks grumpie. I only know the boat ramp in the north west corner. Can you give tips to the pump house?
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM,
Go into excelsior and get up on mill st and go south till it turns into powers blvd. Watch for holly lane on your left side. there should be some big power lines that head down to the lake and the pump house.straight out from there should be real good diving and there use to be a boat on the bottom in about 20-25 feet of water.
grumpie......
11-13-2008, 04:11 PM,

I think I am going to be diving on Saturday and Sunday for my AOW. I will let you know if something changes.
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM,
Sounds like Christmas Lake is the lake of choice Steve? I gave a call to Pete (he dove with us at Crosby over Labor Day) and he may join us if we dive Christmas on Sunday. With this trip basically a scouting-trip to mark a good dive site for my ice diving class in January, the fact that there is little silt on the bottom would be a big plus. God knows someone kicking up the silt on an ice dive really sucks.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
11-13-2008, 08:18 PM,
Grumpie, that sounds great. Thanks for the information.

Dave, if you agree, we'll try Grumpie's spot. We could always go to Green but the swim may be a long swim unless we find a friendly homeowner that gives us access.

In the spirit of the board, any experienced divers that would like to come out and look around are welcome. I'd encourage dry diver as the air is likely to be too cold and we'll be in the water a long time.