Remember me
Lost Password Register

cold water dives 10-28-08
11-13-2008, 08:49 AM,
Re: cold water dives 10-28-08
If we break Ice to get to the open water while we do our AOW dives this weekend, does part of these dives go toward the Ice certification? Just kidding.
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM,
I did a rather fun Thanksgiving dive two years ago - had a little less than 1/4" of ice.  had friend take a few pics of me gearing up and throwing ice hunks around.  did a short dive just to try our some equipment - basically just made a little circle going from 4' deep out to about 15', with one stop to poke my head thru the ice like a seal for a photo opp.  viz was a little sucky, so I didn't spend too much time under - only a few minutes.  when I came in, I could see my exact path in the trapped bubbles under the ice.  each breath had made a nice white blob.  I could easily see a couple spots where I was looking at something or messing with gear - subsequent breaths made those spot 2 or 3 times as big as the others.  kind of a neat effect that we don't usually get to see ice diving due to snow cover on the ice as well as the ice being too thick or uneven.

it looks like I won't get to come out and play this weekend - although I did drop Bambis mother last weekend, I still have to go back up this weekend for other things.  have a nice set of dives!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
11-13-2008, 04:06 PM,
If you can get me some free gopher tickets we can work out some kind of a deal, like taking the ice diving class in Pensacola fla. in march.
grumpie.......
11-13-2008, 04:09 PM,
I will see what I can do... ;D