Remember me
Lost Password Register

Backplate or Jacket
12-22-2008, 08:26 AM,
Re: Backplate or Jacket
I started out using all kinds of jacket types hated them until I tried a  Scuba Pro Knighthawk , it is a cadillac of a bc . Used it for a few dives decided I wanted to Tech diving , it sort of worked but what a cluster .And how do you hook up your doubles ? I then switched to backplate system , Now it just got even better . Getting it adj. was the only pain with it . But it is perfect . I have ss plates one set for wetsuit in the ocean and the other for drysuit .. Sold my knighthawk .I agree with Kirk it would be an excellent thought for dive shops to consider teaching with B P system. Another plus I forgot to mention is that it is a lot easier to travel with . If set up correctly also eliminates the dangling and  draging of  equip . . 
So even if your only going to dive single tank  I would recommend a BP system . 
T Ostby
12-22-2008, 09:32 AM,
It's really great to hear all of your suggestions.  Here is the one problem that I see for using the BP and wings in an Open Water Scuba Class.  The harness system needs to be configured for the person using it.  Now if we only had to do that once per class not that big of deal.  We have a lot of classes going on a the same time with the ones at the store, colleges and universities, community educations programs etc.  So a BP and wing or a BC might be used by 6 or 8 other people before it comes back for the person you set it up for.  We don't have enough time to constantly have to re adjust the harness system each time so the fit will be different each time the person uses it.You don't have this problem when you own your gear, but for classes it is a lot of additional work.  Because of this we use the SeaQuest Balance for men and Libra for woman in our classes.  These two Back inflation BC's are really GREAT units.  They are still compact and easy to travel with.  Most of you that have BP and wings have 2 sets because you don't like to keep changing them.  One for warm water and one for local diving or your doubles.  If you went to tech diving you could still use your Balance or Libra for warm water diving and get the BP and Wings for local diving.  Two sets but, like I said most  tech divers have tow anyway.
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM,
How about a slightly different suggestion to the dive shops and instructors out there....invest some time making your new divers aware of the BP+W option after they finish their training but before they invest in their first set of gear. This way they will be better informed and maybe save them some money in the long run. The way I see it, if a person buys a cheap/moderate BCD from your store or a BP+W setup from your store they will spend about the same amount if money. Hopefully your profits will be about the same too. So, why not expose them to the BP+W and long hose setup and let them decide.

I did over 500 dives in a Ranger and the setup worked but something was never quite right. I kept reading about Hogarthian configurations and asking people and finally changed last year. You would have to pay me to put the Ranger back on. The BP+W setup packs easier, weighs less, easier to clean and way more streamlined and configurable.

I wish someone would have taken me "under their wing" (pardon the bad dive joke) and convinced me to try it right away before buying that BCD, plus all the plastic clips and gadgets all for nothing in the end.

Webbing, bolt snaps, zip ties and 1/8" bungy might not be as s3xy as the other stuff on the shelves but it sure works well.
12-22-2008, 11:07 AM,
I have to agree with the good folks at Northland.  It would be really impractical to train students in a backplate+wing. I hate having to adjust my harness and I can't imagine having to adjust harnesses every day for for students.  Also, many of these students don't buy full sets of gear.  It makes sense for them to get familiar with gear they will probably rent in the tropics. 

I also agree with Qix.  Dive shops that sell backplates should take the opportunity to introduce them to students -- possibly as part of their advanced training.  I don't look at my initial purchase of a Balance bcd as a bad investment.  It was a great stepping stone to a backplate+wing.  I doubt I would have purchased a backplate+wing if given the option at the time.  The Balance seemed to be more user friendly and meet my newbie needs better. 

I have yet to participate in a sport or hobby where you buy the right/best/most advanced gear from the very beginning.  I guess that's so the more experienced guys can say "been there, done that".
--Jason
12-22-2008, 01:12 PM,
I would have to say it is a lot of trail and error and listening to others to find what works best everyone is diff.
As for the shops training in them ( B P ) I agree (  after reading the diff oppinions ) ,  would probably be impractical to start someone out in them . adj . to get the just right fit is a pain . But I guess I would at least expose those interested in them to it . Instructors should have a good idea of the students who may have an interest or at least have a system available to try . 
The main thing out of all this is pers. pref hope fully new divers will read the responses and benefit from them .   
T Ostby