Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM,
Re: Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?
DQ,  the Puffer is one of the few I can readily recognize.  I'm really hoping to get lucky and find a big grouper or hog staring at my spear when I splash and the bubbles clear....a guy can hope.

I've  been watching video's on spearboard,  and glued to the discovery channel spearhunter vid's.
I think I recognize the lobster also ;D,  that is on the agenda.
[img][/img]

Attached Files
.jpg   113be3.jpg (Size: 21.32 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   113be3.jpg (Size: 21.32 KB / Downloads: 64)
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2009, 08:06 AM by Shooter.)
Re: Fish ID flash cards? or just point and shoot?

What I usually do is buy a cooler down there, if I need it.  You can usually pick them up for $10-$12.  By a roll of duct tape when you get the cooler.  That way as you're checking in your luggage,  You can tape it shut.  Get some good, 1 gallon freezer bags.  If you have time and a big enough freezer pre-Pack your cooler and then freeze it.  Don't put any water or ice in with your filets.  I usually fit 40 pounds of fillets in the cooler.  If you have lobster tails break off the shark tips on the side of their armament.  This will prevent the bank from getting perforated. Don't be afraid to re-pack your gear in the checkout line to balance weight. 

If you're going to be doing any spearing get a pair of these gloves on the link listed below.  This will allow you to control the wounded fish.  Stick your hands right up into their gills and hang on.  These gloves will also allow you to grab lobsters without having to use a lasso.  Make sure the boat has a cooler for fish with ice, gut your fish right away and get them in the cooler ASAP.