Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-09-2009, 03:34 PM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
It may fall into the "Eye of the beholder" catagory.  I think almost everyone on MNscuba could appreciate a good wreck to dive, but if you appeal to the general public to  give money to preserve a wreck vs. buying a new police car or computers for a school- preserving the wreck won't rate very high on the priority list.  (Thanks GLSPS for taking over the cause).  It almost takes an instance like this to remember how few people really are protecting the wrecks.  I also think it would be tough to get the police to react to scavaging wrecks.  I found a Bank-night deposit box, a deposit bag weighted down with rocks and had legible checks in it and a 12 foot fishing boat with legible lic#.  I turned the bag of checks and boat number over to the police and took a ride with an officer(of coarse she had me sit in the back) back to the lake.  I showed her the exact spot.  One month later, all the items were still sitting in the exact same spot.  If they didn't react to a felony at the bottem of a lake, what would happen with scavaging?  Divers really need to stay vocal on this stuff-Jeff
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM,
Well if you go back and look again its all gone and that includes the boom box. a certified letter was sent to the owner at his home and he has not yet replied to the SO or the tow company.
The sad part is we have many  other things that we do, so we have to the big things first and then do the rest as we go.
Their are only so many people to go a round.If you would like to join Im sure we can find a place for you. Most of us vol. put in 400-500 hrs a year.
grumpie Instr, Instr-trainer, Tech-instr.
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM,
So, about that land for sale where the Madiera anchor is....Any idea how much?
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-09-2009, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM by Terry.)
[
[/quote]

Your right about Ken. I think the person who puts the time and effort into the discovery gets to decide what to do with it. I look forward to diving the wrecks he has discovered and I appreciate all of his sacrifices to the diving community. He also runs a dive charter business. I hope to dive off his boat and listen to the dive stories behind the discoveries. 8)

I watched over the last 3 decades things dissappear off wrecks, AND a few, things reappear, THANKS to Kenny and the GLSPS. Kenny's a decent guy, he would do the right thing. ( Would we even know of the position of the Kamloops,  today, if it werent for Kenny?) But you cant protect all the wrecks all the time. I've had dinner off the Mesquite's china, and used her wrenches to repair my trailer. It was after all, the Coasrt Guard who sunk $40,000 tool cabinets because (in their opinion,,,,,,) it wasnt worth removing and recatorgorizing, any item worth less then $250, not looking at the tool box as a single item, but instead looking at each socket and wrench individually. Who actually paid for that stuff, the Coast Guard? No, you, and I did! Who paid for the Atocha, the Aztecs, the Spainards, ( werent they the first ones to steal it?) the state of Fla., the US gov.? Both those last two laid claim to it in part and whole. How about Mel Fischer, who lost offspring to it, he paid a high price. Would we even know today the treasures of the Atocha if it wasnt for Mel. I believe the shipwreck America (on Isle Royale) is much less the wreck today because of it being a "free for all" in the past, although today much more preserved due to Kenny and the GLSPS. I am torn on this issue, as to how to protect wrecks, would I rather see ALL the items on the museum ship the "Meteror" back on the bottom of the Great Lakes, OF COURSE! Might some of those items be lost FOREVER to someones garage or basement, only to be thrown out by a surviving relative, rather then be returned to Kenny for the  Put it back program?  Of Course! Might some of them be lost to the shifting sands of time, settling into the silt, as much of the Atocha was? Once again, Of Course! To make it illegal to steal a  piece of eight, to say the least,, is limited security, for that shiny gold coin lying the shifting sand surrounding the HMS Looe. I believe shipwrecks are a finite resource, and as such, should be protected, it is a shame that wind and wave, salt and surge, will take their toll over time, it is a much shame that some divers too will take their toll.     
[/quote]
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM,

So a big developer buys the land, sells the anchor as scrap steel, and builds a 2 million dollar home with an awesome view of Superior....Can we afford that?  :Smile
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-09-2009, 05:28 PM,
If your interested you can contact the Brainard dive shop and get Bill Mathies book and you will get the story on that anchor. It was very good, written by a guy who was blowing bubbles before any one here even thought about it. ;D
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM,
I dont recall the weight of the anchor but at $80/ton it would be a shame to melt it down, have it dissappear for a lousy $240
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
07-09-2009, 06:15 PM,

Sorry Grumpie, I should have never doubted the recovery.  Are you at liberty to disclose anything about the bank box.  The deposit bag had checks for a drug store from one year ago.  When I googled that drug store chain, the nearest ones were about 45 mins in any direction.  Thanks, Jeff
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-09-2009, 07:31 PM,

Then maybe you will have to venture out of hand held / guided diving. Next time I am diving and find something cool or valuable, I will leave it there, draw you a map with gps coordinates, and send it to you. Spread the dive wealth around, right? NOT! I am sure that if you found the wreck of the Atocha you would leave it there for me to see. What then is the reward for the diver who boldly goes where none have gone before?  FORTUNE favors the brave!

On the other hand experiencing diving the wrecks at aisle royal made me appreciate historical shipwreck preservation. To feel like I was the first one there after thousands of other divers was pretty awesome. I feel that is up to the person who made the discovery.
[/quote]

Shooter I made my comment in regards to the original topic of Superior wrecks.I wasn't aware of people still locating to many wrecks in or near recreational limits in Superior.If you are,enjoy.I am not referring to lost fishing gear and jewelry people are losing in area lakes.I found a Minnkota trolling motor and no I didn't look for the rightful owner.
07-09-2009, 07:48 PM,
Quote:You didn't answer the question about Mel.

I don't really have an opinion on his specific situation because I just don't know that much about it.  Furthermore, it doesn't matter what I think, it's up to the courts.  The reason I think we're on parallel arguments is that you're talking about undiscovered wrecks and who should 'get' them when found.  I'm talking more about established wrecks that are already in the public trust and the ethics of items being taken from them. 

If you're passion is to go find a wreck filled with treasure, you certainly don't need my approval... go!  I'm not some gov't bureaucrat that's going to try to take your findings.  You don't have to convince me of anything.