Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list

You are so correct. Mel Fisher was a completely different time and era. Cultural Resource laws have changed significantly since then. Also there is a huge difference between finding a valuable item and excavating a shipwreck. It's easier to turn an archaeologist into a diver than it is to turn a diver into an archaeologist.
07-20-2009, 08:44 PM,

I want to be a treasure hunter also, but the fact is that most artifacts are better preserved if left in place, particularly in salt water. Most divers don't have the knowledge or equipment necessary to properly preserve artifacts after being taken out of the water. For example, if you drive through the Florida Keys you are likely to see many cannons of historical significance falling apart because they were not properly cared for after being removed from the sea. The fact is that most submerged cultural resources have more historical significance than monetary value. Would you remove bricks from the Alamo?
07-21-2009, 08:30 AM,

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  Please provide your source for above statement. By that statement my vehicle will last longer driving it on MN roads with the salt and never washing it as compared to a vehicle in arizona for example. What you fail to realize is alot of divers, myself incluced, do know how to treat and preserve booty recovered from salt water. Remember "when treasure hunting is outlawed, only outlaws will be treasure hunters"  ;D

I have no need or desire for a brick from the alamo.
07-21-2009, 05:26 PM,
What I meant by that is that artifacts in salt water will last longer if left in the sea than if they are removed and not properly treated. As the artifact dries out the salt crystals expand and make the artifact fall apart. This is widely known and really doesn't need a reference. I really don't understand what that has to do with your car....

Also, a lot of divers may know how to preserve artifacts, but a lot of them don't know how to also. I don't think there is anything wrong with amateur treasure hunting, but looting a known archaeological site is a felony.

The statement about the brick from the Alamo was an analogy, can you say a n a l o g y?

Oh well, so we disagree, happy treasure hunting!!!!

WAIT!!!! You're right!!!! Let's just rip all the shipwrecks apart for our own personal souvenirs!!!!
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM,

Did you even read the rest of this thread? Or are quoting other "widely known facts"? About the car I was using an analogy! I know you can spell it, but I don't think you grasp the meaning. >Big Grin Although to some it is a widely known fact? If you had read the thread you can see I do not advocate "ripping apart shipwrecks". My position is more from a discovery standpoint like that of Mel. I posted a quote fr0m the thread in case you couldn't find it that may help you better understand my position. ;D

You didn't answer the question about Mel.

Your right about Ken. I think the person who puts the time and effort into the discovery gets to decide what to do with it. I look forward to diving the wrecks he has discovered and I appreciate all of his sacrifices to the diving community. He also runs a dive charter business. I hope to dive off his boat and listen to the dive stories behind the discoveries. 8)

And why wouldn't it be in the same ballpark ? Are you suggesting that merely monetary value determines salvage rights?  Are you saying there should be different rules if I find an orange as compared to an apple?
[/quote]
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM,
I'll give you $10 for the brick and $25 for Shooters left front tire. Smile
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-22-2009, 11:06 AM,
This topic is finally getting interesting! ;D
07-22-2009, 12:16 PM,
are quoting other "widely known facts"?

07-22-2009, 01:07 PM,
I'll go $20 on the brick and I will add $20 more if you engrave a n a l o g y  on it  ;D. The tires are a package deal, 4 for $80 and I haven't ever cleaned them! Wink
07-22-2009, 01:37 PM,
The only point that I was making is that the recovery of historical artifacts is in a different ballpark than salvaging recently lost items.