Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wreck moorings
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM,
Re: Wreck moorings
Hi Ron, not try to push you but this is the kind of a project that could be done over winter and ready for a spring install. Do one or two simple ones so that we could learn.
Im not try to be a techie, but m willing to help out and Im sure that others would  help out.
simple minded grumpie.
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM,
Grumpie
Putting the mooring line together isn't the hard part.
I normally don't spend much over a hour putting the whole thing together. I have a full set of supplies in my workshop.
(even the two 420 ft lines I made for the Benjamin Noble)
In this day and age of lawsuits and liability you are going to want to work with a group like the GLSPS. If you install a mooring and it fails you could be held responsible.
The GLSPS carries insurance for this.
Bob

09-23-2009, 09:14 PM,
I did not mean to install them, I offered to help build them. You know free labor.
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM,
Grumpie
I don't have any mooring lines that need to installed at the moment
but if people were interested I could be talked into showing them how the lines are assembled.
Eyesplices
Thimbles
Chains and Carabiners
Fish Floats

Bob
09-24-2009, 06:32 AM,

Hey Bob, would this make a nice mini seminar for next years "Dive into the Past"

Al
09-24-2009, 08:07 AM,
Or at least make a mock-up to have spread out on a table to show/describe all the parts.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
09-24-2009, 05:24 PM,
Al
Mini seminar? Huh
That sounds like a plan.
I will just have to figure out how to work it in between.
Discover Scuba
Discover Rebreather
and the Raffle Table
For a small donotion to the GLSPS.
I could make up a 10 or 15 ft mooring with all the pieces, explain why we do it that way, and let you try your hand at eye splicing.
What do you think?
Bob
09-24-2009, 06:20 PM,
[quote='CCR Diver link' pid='5357' dateline='1253834676']
Al
Mini seminar? Huh
That sounds like a plan.
I will just have to figure out how to work it in between.
Discover Scuba
Discover Rebreather
and the Raffle Table
For a small donotion to the GLSPS.
I could make up a 10 or 15 ft mooring with all the pieces, explain why we do it that way, and let you try your hand at eye splicing.
What do you think?
Bob

That could work, not sure what I'd do with them but still nice to learn.

Al
[/quote]
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM,
In some respects it is valuable to have groups like GLSPS do the work as that is part of the mission – protect and preserve by putting moorings on wrecks.  I don’t know if the concern over litigation is a strong argument as you can sue anyone in this country for any random reason – no logic required.  Worse is if you step into the trap of liability you only support the lawyers who want you to believe that you need to live in a paranoid bubble.  Sometimes you just have to break the bubble and live outside in the real world.  Now I like the statement made by a genuine legend in MN community who stated (paraphrase) that “divers don’t put platforms in lakes, God puts platforms in lakes..”    How then can we as instructors / dive stores,  for 30 + years take new scuba diving students to places like Square Lake, Perch, Crosby and allow them to train on underwater platforms that have been illegally placed, without a shred of insurance coverage…tie a maze of underwater lines, and sub floats…hummm?  Just remember that nobody in this country is responsible for their own actions, it is always somebody else who has done wrong and should be sued!   

Having seen another avid shipwreck diver moor wrecks in other areas, I was impressed at his sense of adaptation to challenging environments where mooring lines are cut, torn off by fishing lines, or run over by lakers…as much as I was impressed with how he carried the entire line and subfloat and deployed it at depth.  I was able to do this on one dive and I was amazed at how the line, chain, fifteen gallon subfloat and surface tag line all moved with me in unison without any effort and I was descending down a weighted #24 cave line and bleach bottle as surface marker to over 150 ft.  – but same technique is used on 200 + depth wrecks…

I think it would be a great service for boB to put on a demo at GLSPS show displaying the techniques that are used for mooring wrecks.

Good Diving

Ron
Start with training, continue with adventures.
11-24-2009, 07:35 AM,
I was just checking out the list of speakers at "Dive into the Past" this coming Feb. I found this after clicking on "2010 Dive Into the Past Brochure"

* Take a half-hour class on moorings:
Learn when and why they are needed, how
to deploy them, and see a live demonstration
of how to make them (small fee TBD)

Looking forward to the class, Thanks Al