Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mares Icon HD
11-02-2009, 05:04 PM,
Re: Mares Icon HD
Damn, but I like my old navy dive tables and my anlog depth gauge and pressure gauge and my dive watch with a rotating bezel and last but not least my old log book.
I guess thats what happens when your old, but a least I can go back and read my log book, can you go back and read your computor.
11-02-2009, 05:19 PM,
PS, I have that mag. on my desk and the cover looks good.
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM,
There is no rule that says you can't write down your dives in a log book if you have a computer.

I love my computer and the more features it has the better so long as it works properly.  If it gets glitchy and wonky, I don't want it.  That is malfunctioning equipment.  So long as it works right, it sounds good to me.

I like that my computer tells me both air time and depth time remaining.  I like that if I get in a pinch and end up in a bit of deco, it knows how to do that.  If I drop my camera or something else and end up blowing an NDL by going down 20 feet to get it, I won't get bent.  Without it, I'd either have to hope I'm OK, leave the camera, or get bent.

A nice crisp high color screen and some of the features listed look good to me.  I'll wait to read reviews after its been out in an air integrated version for a while.
11-02-2009, 06:31 PM,
What can I say, I agree with Arcflash, KISS.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM,
Here are a couple of thoughts I have in my head.....

ArcFlash:  You say this is "awful and expensive."  Have you seen the computer?  Have you tried using it?  That seems like an unfair judgment of a product that it doesn’t sound like you've even used.

You also are saying: "It's probably running some form of Windows so it can't be trusted and if they let you load pictures and stuff you'll need to run some kind of viewer and that's more software upgrades....."
Again, have you seen the computer? 

I've seen the computer, played around with it, and read reviews.  No, it doesn't run on Windows.  While I can't say that it's good or bad (haven't used it), I can say that it seems like a nice computer.
There is also absolutely nothing on Mares website about this computer being “designed specifically for women in style..."  Sure, they have a "She Dives" line, but this computer isn't part of that line. 

While I understand the merits of using time-tested and trusted technology, that doesn't mean that new products are bad.  For example, if your computer is 10 years old, it doesn't incorporate all of the advances in decompression theory.  In other words, this "awful and expensive" piece of equipment may well be using safer technology and dive theory than your "computer that runs firmware on the metal for $300." 

I use an air-integrated computer and have for years and hundreds of dives.  It has given me zero problems.  I also dive with many other divers that do that same.  Sure, there’s been a dying battery that is easily replaced (after the computer gives an adequate warning).  And, a transmitter battery failure doesn’t mean that your whole computer shuts down.  At that point, you’re left with the same "computer that runs firmware on the metal for $300” that you’re talking about.

On the flip side, I’ve seen more failures of high-pressure hoses than I can count.  I’ve seen leaky o-rings in SPG’s, bulges in high-pressure hoses, etc., etc.  Now I’m not saying that an SPG is bad, just that it’s far from fail-safe. 

Finally, I want to address the point I think “Austin” is trying to make.  While I look at this forum on occasion, I rarely post.  That’s because it seems like about 5 people write most of the comments, and attack people for asking questions or having ideas that differ from theirs.  DIR or not, there just isn’t one right way to dive.  This forum could be a great place for divers, especially newer divers, to come and ask questions and search for good information.  Instead, someone asks a question about a new computer and is told it’s “awful and expensive" but with absolutely no knowledge of the product to back-up this comment.  If I am a new diver looking for information, I want to know what people like about something, what they don’t like, and even some suggestions for alternatives.  There’s a great opportunity on this forum to share knowledge and love of the sport.  I wish I could see more of that.

11-02-2009, 10:08 PM,
as a new diver, I've found lots of great information on here, and was given tons of advice when I made my first post looking for gear suggestions.  I've even gone on a great boat dive with some members of the forum.

I haven't been around here long, but I haven't seen many threads like this one.  Most seem to be pretty good.  Sometimes they do drift a bit, but most of the posts seem to be made with a bit of a joking attitude.
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM,
It looks pretty with the color interface but the big question is whether or not it's worth it.  At $1100-1200 I'll pass.  I won't begrudge anyone that puts down their money for this computer.  But I will question their judgment if the rest of their gear is sub par. 

I didn't see any video games.  You got a pretty interface but no games?

My only other issue with the computer other than price is the size.  The youtube demos I've seen feature a female diver wearing the computer.  Maybe she is really petite or something because the computer looks pretty big.  Personally I would rather have a smaller compact computer strapped to my wrist. 
--Jason
11-03-2009, 01:57 PM,
THT98, It's all good. If you want more people posting you should type more.

My post wasn't as harsh as your reaction to it. If you need to feel good by owning a $1200 color computer that's great but don't sell the idea to new divers that it's somehow safer and better because of it. I own and $800 integrated computer. Sold to me around dive 20 when I though more is better. I should have spent $300 and spent the rest on V-planner and tanks.

You say I should post about what I know and I know I hate integrated flashy computer. My 2 Duo's are plenty safe. Jason said it better then I, He didn't use hyperbole, I did. I guess that wasn't obvious enough for some.

You also say everyone can dive what they want but you criticize my post for my DIR style. That's odd.

We're all friends on this board, I've dove with at least 13 of you and have not found an angry person in the bunch so read stuff with a smile, you'll live longer.

How do you know it's not Windows CE. Is it Linix, Android, C, microVGA... I'm honestly interested,as a geek I like this sort of thing. So, it's an embedded system for sure? Can you reference it?

You should come out diving with us. Sounds like you're good conversation. Bring Austin and we'll talk BP&W vs. Jacket. Smile

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM,
[quote author=goaliemn link=topic=5781.msg32108#msg32108 date=1257221311]
[quote author=THT98 link=topic=5781.msg32107#msg32107 date=1257220225]                                                                                                             I've even gone on a great boat dive with some members of the forum.

So Mark, what was, the name of vessel? :Smile

Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-03-2009, 02:41 PM,

I think it would be dandy just to listen to the conversation between THT98, Austin and Steve, I'm sure I could learn something, heck I'd even be willing to buy the beers, no more long conversations (after diving) outside though, getting to late in the season for that. You guys game?         Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)