Remember me
Lost Password Register

IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL
03-14-2003, 08:25 PM,
Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL
I pulled this from a post of mine on another site.. my wife has an Impulse with stiff tube. Most all the impulses I see now have a flex tube.

... is abolutely right. For diving go with a plain old tube or no tube at all. I have to say though, that if you are just going to be snorkeling around on the surface, the valves aren't bad. Actually kinda nice. I borrowed my wifes once and have to admit that on the surface I really got to like it. It's strong points were that it was very easy to clear when it had just that little bit of gurgling water in it + it had a more comfortable mouth piece than mine. Still, it does have a failure point, the valve, and for that reason I can't recommend them. Still.. I'd be lying to say it wasn't nice. Learn to clear a plain old tube though with the "little puff of air" technique and the valves are really unnecessary, even from being just 1/2 meter under the water you can clear a plain tube easily.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-17-2003, 05:34 PM,
Fred,

There is a huge difference between an Impulse and a Dry snorkel- Ocean master and NEW impulse dry.

The regualr impulse might be nice for really big waves, but the "DRY" snorkel will create a squeeze that will suck your tounge right out of your mouth. :'(

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-17-2003, 06:01 PM,
I have an Aqualung Impulse 2 snorkel with the flex tube. It's a good snorkel for snorkeling. Grossly overpriced though and since I don't bring it with on scuba dives and don't snorkel much it was not one of my wiser purchases.
03-17-2003, 07:31 PM,
I never did take her impulse to deep. But I did notice when we were in mexico the last trip that when we went under the water her impulse was a lot slower to empty all the air out, so it was noisy for a longer period of time on descent. My thoughts at the time were it wouldn't be a good choice for spearfishing. I saw all the time, where until the bubbles left the snorkel, the fish weren't too friendly.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-26-2003, 10:17 PM,

Do the Impulse Drys really fill with water as soon as you go down? I haven't used one, but believed people when they said that they were completely dry. I have a hard time believing that something that is touted by the company as completely dry wouldn't be darn close considering the number of cranky calls they'd get if most of the snorkels weren't as dry as claimed.

I use an Impulse 2 and absolutely love the flex tube. I'd never ever go back to a stiff tube ever. (except for those cute little ones you can roll up and put into your bc pocket)