Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice diving
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM,
Re: Ice diving
I'm keen to try ice diving this winter as well. I finally bit the bullet and bought a drysuit this fall and want to sign up for a local ice diving course. Any recommendations in the Twin Cities area? I'm PADI Rescue at the moment if that matters.
12-10-2009, 12:53 PM,
I got my OW in Sept and I'm already looking at a drysuit.. I think this is the start of an expensive addiction..
12-10-2009, 02:37 PM,
Ice class: I'd chose a class that already has students to hold it. If your the only student, it's likely to cancel and that's sad for everyone.

Personally, I don't agree with SDI course only being one day. SDI doesn't say one day, only 2 dives but it's normally done in one day. I feel 2 is better for the student. I needed the time to tune gear and think about the dives so I could feel competent leading the 3rd dive.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM by mermaid.)

For those of us that love diving, and that dive in MN, the wetsuit season is WAY too short (a drysuit is a must).  If I had known how much I would enjoy this sport, and the underwater environment, I would have gotten a drysuit in the first place.
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM,

Ahhhh,,,,, Mermaid, Ice diving is just for the men :-\
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM,

Ahhhh......TRINITY, EXCUSE ME?????  I KNOW you're not implying that women can't ice dive!! 
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM,

Ahhhh......TRINITY, EXCUSE ME?????  I KNOW you're not implying that women can't ice dive!! 
[/quote]

alright you two, I want to see a clean fight, now go back to your corners and wait for the bell...  (I'll put $10 on Mermaid!) Smile  sounds like somebody is still feeling his oats after his FL vacation and wants more abuse!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
12-10-2009, 05:46 PM,

A 10 spot on the Mermaid?  ??? WTF!,,,,,,,,,, just another John to never see a dive on the Impulse this summer.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
12-10-2009, 08:42 PM,
Yes indeed the thermometer tells me that ice is indeed being made!!!!!

As you all know who have dove with me or read posts from past years....My very favorite time of year for diving in Minnesota is almost here  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Last year I just came short of my goal for twenty ice dives. 

I was happy to have been able to double the size of my shelter.  It's now 10X30.  This provides LOTS of room to spread out and get comfy. 

I was also real glad to have been able to provide the training for four divers to be able to earn the Ice diving certification last year.
Check out this thread

I dive a LOT during the winter both teaching classes and just out diving.  OBSERVERS are always welcome.  People who are willing to help out with setting up are REAL WELCOME >Big Grin >Big Grin

12-10-2009, 10:25 PM,
I was thinking the same thing this week.. should've skipped the 7mm and gone straight to drysuit..  I own a 3 and 7mm suit.. could've used the 7mm money for a drysuit..