Remember me
Lost Password Register

My first Dry Suit!
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM by mattd.)
Re: My first Dry Suit!
Wrist seals are easy just squish and cut.  Neck seals aren't that bad you just need to be more careful.  I tried the stretch it around a tank and use a razor blade trick and it failed miserably.  I got my best results just using a sharp scissors and being careful.

You should take a class before you go jump in with it.  There isn't a whole lot to the class, but it is worth the small fee to have an experienced person watch you and provide comments to you to help you start learning the new suit.  A few practice runs on the upside down flip is useful too.

I'm still a guppy in my drysuit too, but I am getting more comfortable with it.  I'm ordering a weighbelt soon as I simply cannot pack enough weight into my BC to be comfortable at this point with my heavy undergarment on.
02-18-2010, 05:20 PM,
I've cut a few because I have a big neck and wrists.  The sharp scizzors is the best bet and make sure you have somebody hold the seal flat.

Since you'll probably have to take quite a bit off the cone for your size neck, you can actually practice by taking it off in stages if you want. 

It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
02-18-2010, 07:14 PM,
Go the the craft store and get some fiskers made for cutting fabric- those are the sharpest scissors! And if you only cut fabric and drysuit seals with them they will remain sharp for a long time.  ;D
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
02-19-2010, 09:39 AM,
I cut mine by putting a plastic pail in the neck from the top and then cut it using a zacto from inside so I could (see) cut between the lines they provide. It worked well but trim a little at a time. It takes less then you think. I only removed one ring and it made a lot of difference so sneak up on it.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM,
I am experimenting with keeping weights in the BCD, but also still using a weight belt.  So you have multiple ways to dump weight.  If the belt comes off, or your in an emergency, if you take off the belt, that is all your weight.  Than you will probably have a rapid acent, but if you devide up the weight with BCD pockets and a belt it may be safer.  Also than you can dump your weight pockets instead of your belt, but weight pockets can be expensive.
02-19-2010, 04:55 PM,
I'm thinking about a weight harness, like a DUI trim system.. I tried a friends out once and it was pretty slick.  I'm going to see how much extra weight I need in my suit before I buy anything, tho..
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM,
Just some reminders:
If you can't get the weight in the BC, it's not designed to lift that much so you need a higher capacity BC as well.
This is a good time to pitch a back plate, wing of the correct lift, and a weight harness (so it can't fall off). If you use a belt, add a crotch strap so if the belt falls off the strap gives you a second chance to recover it.

Consider the redundancy provided by the drysuit lift. It's very unlikely you'd need to ditch and gamble that you can still control the accent.

Check the capacity of your BCD. It needs to have enough lift if you flood the suit. Ditching weight should be a last chance effort. If you can't swim up with the weight belt, you started out over weighted (most people dive too heavy). Remember the rule, If you need lift at 15 feet (or more than a tiny bit in the suit) your too heavy. Adding 3, 4 or 5 pounds to "make sure" is a bad policy. Only take what you need. When I come up from deep, I routinely dump most of what I have and fin slowly to the surface. I've done this from more than 100 and it's not difficult at all so I believe I could at least make the surface BEFORE I ditch the weight.

I like the DUI weight and trim system. Durability of the W&T2 is marginal as mine is very worn and I expected more life out of it. I should replace it soon and I'm not going to buy DUI if I can find something else.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-23-2010, 08:13 AM,
Get a sharp sissors and a freind to help and it shouldn't be a problem. Just follow the lines and go a little at a time. I would skip the class, waste of time in my opinion, unless you want another specialty card. Have fun. ;D
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.