Remember me
Lost Password Register

Good book
12-30-2009, 09:00 AM,
Re: Good book
I picked up the book at the library yesterday.  Lots of neat pictures and drawings on the wrecks Smile
12-30-2009, 05:43 PM,

John I suspect the dog is frustrated that your daughter spends all her time with her cool new 10 speed bike!    Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
12-30-2009, 07:45 PM,

John I suspect the dog is frustrated that your daughter spends all her time with her cool new 10 speed bike!     Terry
[/quote]

15 speeds and its almost paid for
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM,
DetectorGuy
Did you find anymore wrong coordinates?
All the numbers were taken with WAAS enabled GPS and should be within 3 meter accuracy.
Steve said if anyone wants their book signed to look him up at the Dive into the Past show February 27th 2010 at the Mermaid.
Bob
12-31-2009, 09:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM by DetectorGuy.)

I think that was probably the only coord that was twisted up. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when It comes to wrong coords as they are free and given as a courtesy. I appreciate any info about dive sites, but like anything, the level of accuracy you require may not be what is presented and everyone needs to understand that. Last year I got a little sideways with a member of the board of directors for GLSPS (even though his title was GLSPS President / Safety & Training Officer) and some of it was because of this book (most of the problem probably came from my name "Detectorguy" as he made sure to mention I could not take any artifacts or I will be fined and possible jail time). I have never met this guy and he doesn't know me from Adam. I thought this was pretty ballsy for him to be be that presumptuous as to think I would take his stuff with out even knowing me! I copied a bit of the conversation below but just so that everyone can see that I am not taking anything out of context. Here is a link to the thread:

I have no hard feelings toward the GLSPS nor do they have any with me and thats the way I want it to stay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PJK

GLSPS President / Safety & Training Officer

Re: North Shore/Ely dive trip
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »

"Detector Guy,

I see you all are in need of information about diving the North Shore of Lake Superior.  If you haven't heard, their is a new book out and it was introduced into the book stores back in May 2008.  It gives you ALL the information you need and more to dive along the North Shore.  The book is called the "A Divers Guide Along Lake Superior's Northshore".  The book was written by Author Stephen Daniel, and in collaboration with the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society, (GLSPS).  Stephen Daniel is the current President of the GLSPS. 

The book has 180 pages and is amazing!  It has all the Shipwrecks along the North Shore listed and most likely shipwrecks you probably didn't know existed.  It also has many other dive sites of interest along the way.  Such as the bolder field under Split Rock Light House and the Gooseberry River outlet, you were talking about.  It has some neat railroad artifacts for you to see!  However, you can't take any of the artifacts, or you will be facing a fine and possibly some jail time! 

The book was published by the Minnesota Historical Society and the book can only be purchased from a few book stores and retailers around the Twin Cities, such as Barns and Noble Book Stores.  Some dive shops are selling the book as well.  Check with your LDS to see who has it.  I believe the price is around $22.00 to $24.00.  I purchased a book from the Author already, being I'm on the Board of Directors, and he personally signed it for me.  I have a few of my pictures displayed in the book as well.

Check it out and if you like it, TELL YOUR FRIENDS!  The GLSPS will be selling the books at the Gales of November at the GLSPS booth.  The GLSPS will also be selling the books at the Dive Into The Past Show the last Saturday of February 2009 and, the Ghostships Festival.  If your not able to buy one at the book stores or your local LDS.  Please come to one or all of the shows to purchase a great book at the GLSPS Booth.

Need more info?  Log onto the GLSPS website at, and it can give you further information on where you can pickup a copy of the book.

Safe travels and diving,"

PJK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DetectorGuy
isantipsd
MNscuba Super Member

Re: North Shore/Ely dive trip
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 06:39:23 AM »

"Thanks for the response, I have the book and I think its is an essential piece of my dive gear. It is very detailed and it has what I assume are accurate GPS coords. One side comment- that the author should have fired the editor as it tends to repeat it self often throughout the book... did I mention it repeats itself? I would reccomend this book to anyone who wants to know more about diving this area. I have about 20 other dive books on the Great Lakes but they are too broad. This one focuses on this relatively narrow strip of realestate. My Grandfather used to work in the shipyards in Duluth back in the day. A good portion of his craftsmanship now lies on the bottom of this lake. He passed away when I was a little kid so I never got a chance to find out what ships he worked on. I am now in the research mode to find out more about his past. The GLSPS is a great organization and is to be commended for their efforts to preserve these time capsules for future generations.  "

12-31-2009, 10:38 AM,
However, you can't take any of the artifacts, or you will be facing a fine and possibly some jail time!

I guess I don't understand why PJK putting the above in his post would get someone upset. I did not read it as a personal attack, but instead more of a general statement. Kind of a FYI think, just in case. There still may be divers out there reading this forum or others that are unaware of the rules.

Al
12-31-2009, 01:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2009, 04:31 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I just thought it was odd for him to promote the book and in the same breath mention that fine/jail thing. In my response to him I mentioned that the book repeated it self often, meaning that they mention this numerous times. I should re-read the book and count how many times they brought this up but it was plenty to get their point across. I guess if I invited a bunch of people over to my property, I would offend them if I kept reminding them not to steal anything. How is this different from the GLSPS taking ownership of the wrecks and inviting a bunch of divers to come see them and then constantly remind them not to take anything. I am probably over thinking this again.
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM,
I know what your saying dude. I may be a jerk for saying this but I sure would like one of those big anchors in my front yard >Big Grin. I know I know " you cant take any of the artifacts or you will be facing a fine and possibly some jail time!"
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
12-31-2009, 10:11 PM,

That's easy get a copy of Boats and Harbors or call Fraiser Shipyards in Superior Wisc. They have all kinds of big anchors and can probably arranged to have it delivered to your front yard  ;D
Bob
12-31-2009, 11:38 PM,
SWEET!!!! ;D
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.