Remember me
Lost Password Register

New dive shop in lakeville
06-08-2006, 08:52 AM,
Re: New dive shop in lakeville
Hello all,

I just wanred to chip in my two cents here.  I lived in South Florida for a few years and saw first hand what "BIG" stores like Diver's Direct can do to local shops.  A good friend of mine had a nice shop that he had to close because he just couldn't match their prices.  Also, how many of you remember the commecial that was on recently for the electronics store that had clerks that didn't know what they were selling?  That's how it was with Diver's Direct also.  They had one "Professional" on staff.  The rest were part-timers. 
    I'll leave it there, but please know that this will hurt our local shops, especially those close to Gander.
06-08-2006, 03:48 PM,
I'm a hunter/fisherman and I love Gander Mountain.  Even over Cabelas, but I wouldn't ever buy scuba gear from them.  There are some things you just need to get from a specialty shop.
06-08-2006, 09:16 PM,
I sure get a charge out of you all since I have been on this site the past few years I've read many things involving gear and people talking about the great prices they got from mail order and the internet, which affects the local dive shop and with the remarks maybe the dive shops need to readjust their prices to compete (with in the last 8 months) Now I read the talk of not buying from Gander Mountain how they will hurt the local dive shops. I think you are a day late and a dollar short.
06-08-2006, 09:31 PM,
Let's just say my opinion changed when I see a David vs. Goliath competition and my friends are "David"...The little guy.  Putting a lot of time, effort and 2nd Mortgage into starting their own business.  Then the "Big hunting and fishing store across the highway" decides to do business in the same theme.  I really liked the "Hardware store next to Home Depot" analogy!  Should every dive shop diversify with shot guns and fishing tackle?  Probably not, but Checker Auto parts has fishing rods at the store in Crystal...You never know what combinations of stores you may see next!
I can see where some divers may go try the "Drive through Air fill" station so they don't have to lug tanks out of the car...and through the huge parking lot!  But I know when knowledge and experience count...Nick and Pat at "A Diver's World" will be the ones to go to for equipment and service...and everything else in that part of the metro area!

Best Wishes to Nick and Pat! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-09-2006, 06:39 AM,
shouldn't you give the shop a chance be for you judge the place? You have never been there you don't know who the area will be staffed with. Perhaps Gander Mountain  will have divers running the department. Until you check it out it is really unfair to judge.
09-13-2006, 02:11 PM,
Yea we got air,  and it came from our own compressor. we have a 13 cu/ft mako with 2100 cu/ft in storage bank. in about  two weeks we will have nitrox 32 in place with 1600 cu/ft in storage. we will only be selling only 32% until there is enough call for other mixes
grumpie.......
01-03-2010, 11:27 AM,
I know this is an old topic, but i thought id follow up since it has relevance. Gander mountain removed the scuba section out of this store. I was hoping for ganders typical 75%(or better 75% off of 75%off) sale when they close out a line, but that never happened.
kinda interesting anyways.( if my memory is right they removed the department last fall)
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;