Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Accident in Florida Keys
01-21-2010, 10:15 AM,
Re: Diving Accident in Florida Keys
Without distracting from the topic I don't believe in "un-deserved hits" That's an old term coined in the days before better models and knowledge. There are a lot less "un-deserved" today because of doppler testing post dive.

There are "un-explained hits" but all of them were earned. Biology is a messy thing but it isn't random.

I'll also comment on the buddy. I like them but I carry a 30cf. I've told a lot of buddy's, "I trust that you'll want to help if you can, I don't believe you'll get that opportunity." So I use a buddy and a backup. The buddy makes thing more enjoyable, the backup provide time.

"Air is a death retardant"
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-22-2010, 12:15 AM,
If diving with a buddy isn't "pairs diving"  why do you need a solo diving certification? 

If your buddy isn't there to help in case you need some help, why is diving with a buddy ingrained in every new diver?

I'm not saying the buddy is to blame, but you make it sound like a buddy should do nothing to help in a situation like this..
[/quote]

Goaliemn - What I am getting at is that you cannot "rely" on another diver to save you.  Yes, in the perfect world  (and what you learned in OW) your buddy has more experience, more air, and is always an arms reach away.  However, the FACT of the matter is that many times your buddy is new like you, uses the same or more air, and is not less than 10' away from you. With more diving and advanced (not AOW) training, you will learn how to save yourself.  Once you have done that, you will learn how to save others.  With that, you will also learn to assess a situation to determine if saving yourself is better than trying to save another......  The crule reality is that one diver dead is better than two....

I agree with Arcflash (imagine that... Wink )  There are no un-deserved (un-earned) hits.  Something contributes to a hit and 99.99%, +/- .01%, it can be traced back to something the diver did, knowing or unknowingly.  Regarding the news release, the diver earned every bit of it...

If anyone wants to discuss this with me further, I would be happy to take it off the forum so please PM me.

01-25-2010, 10:03 PM,
I think one important thing here is experience.  Many people dive one trip a year.  While we in the Minnesota area may dive multiple times.  Kinda funny, I dove with a couple who have been diving for 5+ yeras.  BUT only 2 WEEKS= 1 dive trip each year.  Again compared to us who dive a few times each month or even each week.  So I think experience is key.  But again anything can happen.  Even that the dive master we had dove 2-3 times per day for many years.  So just cause people say they have been diving for years may not mean much!