Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Do you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes we should all carry
50.00%
8 50.00%
no none of us carry
0%
0 0%
I don\'t carry, but don\'t object
50.00%
8 50.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

HOW MANY SCUBA DIVERS HAVE CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS
02-07-2010, 04:15 PM,
Re: HOW MANY SCUBA DIVERS HAVE CONCEALED CARRY PERMITS

I don't know much about it as I have never researched what it takes to get a permit to carry. I am probably running on old info that if you were to get a permit then it would be a given that you own a handgun. I did not know that they don't care what handgun you have a permit to carry (by logging serial numbers of all guns included in the permit). So if you had a permit to carry, they don't even ask what gun you are going to carry? That would be good if it does infact work that way but to me it seems like the Gov trying to get names and addresses for the future martial law. Just my un-educated opinion...
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM by mattd.)
Some states do require that your permit be tied to a particular type of gun or perhaps even a serial no.  MN is not one of them.  The permit is general.  You have to pass a shooting qualification.  It does not have to be done with the gun you plan to carry or even your own gun.  One of the guys in my class had a shiny chromed out 1911 of some kind.  It stove piped and failed.  He finished with one of the instructors and got checked off fine.  However, if you have ever applied for a permit to purchase, a NICS check, or a carry permit, I'm sure there is some record somewhere that says you are the likely owner of a hand gun.  If the day came where they tried to round them up, they'd find you.  After Heller, I don't see that happening.  Whatever Heller turns out to stand for, it is pretty clear that the fed gov at least can't make a total ban.

Like I said before, its not even tied to a pistol.  If you really wanted to carry a long gun around, it would be legal.  I would plan on some interactions with the local law enforcement trying to figure out WTH you are up to, but in the end, its legal.

The MN law says the list is private and not to be used for any purpose.  Ramsey county I think it is recently broke that law and I think there are people working to be sure the sheriff there follows the law in the future.  Really, the only problem county is Ramsey.

Anyway, I don't see what any of this has to do with a diving forum.
02-07-2010, 04:42 PM,
Thanks for the info Matt, I am a trusting kind of guy but there are a few things I don't trust: Dogs, horses, lawyers, car salesmen, and most of all politicians. It has been about 150 years since this country has had a civil war and I do doubt we will see another one. I'm not going to wager on whether or not they would come and get guns or not but I would rather not welcome them to do that. This post does not have anything to do with scuba (which is why it is located in "off topic discussions") but is in a forum with a bunch of level headed out-doorsy kind of people.
02-07-2010, 04:45 PM,
lol.  Do you trust lawyers who dive?

The aforementioned comments were meant for entertainment only and should not be construed as legal advice.

<--- lawyer
02-07-2010, 04:51 PM,

What do you say when you see a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand? "not enough sand"
02-07-2010, 06:04 PM,

What do you say when you see a lawyer buried up to his neck in sand? "not enough sand"
[/quote]

I was just kidding about the "not enough sand" comment. Hell, I don't even know what aforementioned and construed means. If you are a lawyer reading this please find it in your heart to not sue me for this attempt at humor. If you haven't noticed by now, there is not too much that I take seriously. And yes anyone who is a diver is a higher caliber (no pun intended) person than the next and even lawyer divers are welcome to dive with me anytime. Smile
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM,
No worries my friend.

Just don't be pulling up with a jeep full of sand the next time we go diving together, OK!
02-07-2010, 06:37 PM,
roger that, by the way welcome to the world of Ice diving.
02-07-2010, 06:47 PM,

Some events are made public.  Not enough but some.  IMHO the press largely isn't interested in reporting legit uses of firearms. 

Here's a good place to read about such things though:

02-07-2010, 10:42 PM,
I do not but will. We have an instructor on this board. He used to be a regular but dropped off.  I will send him a note about this post and maybe he will jump on and answer some of our questions. I was supposed to be his first student but alas, family came first. I am still on the list for the spring. My daughter does have a permit and does carry. Good for you JVD.  I like the thread. Good to hear from freediver again. I will be in N.D. for a couple of days. I love that state. Just wish it had more dive-able water
CJ