Remember me
Lost Password Register

Perch Lake
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM,
Re: Perch Lake
Thanks for all the information... If I get to the twin cities sometime this summer I think a venture over there would be worthwhile.  I just spent 15 minutes trying to decipher the Wisconsin spearfishing rules and it looks like perch lake is open to spearfishing.  Although I enjoy looking for the big buffalo, wisconsin does allow you to take some edible fish too, crappie and sunnies, so maybe there would be a chance I could have a shore lunch while I'm there.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM,
Oh, there's plenty of sunnies!  I think I have an old post somewhere from years ago when I did a solo dive out there in the heat of summer in the top half of a farmer john wetsuit and no hood or gloves.  I had my camera with and was taking pictures along the weed line and I got attacked by a group of sunnies.  :o They were like little piranhas and were darting in and biting my face and hands.  One of the little suckers bit my lip and drew blood.  I took off and when I looked back there were probably 15 to 20 of them in hot pursuit of me until I retreated outside the weed line and then they broke of the chase.  My guess is they had been fed by divers before and recognized the sound of bubbles and divers in the water. 
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM,
...15 to 20 [sunnies] in hot pursuit...

LMAO
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM,
only 15 or 20?  ;D  that's hardly a big enough mob to worry about!

the ones around our beach up north are vicious little @#$ - I've had them attack the moles on my back and arms before!  I try not to go out there uncovered anymore... Wink
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
05-26-2010, 11:45 AM,

My guess is the sunnies decided to chase you out of their "yard" ;D

The coolest thing I have seen in Perch is a huge snapping turtle, about 3 ft across, that was swimming off in the distance.  It reminded me of 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea. 
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM,
Re: Perch Lake Today wd am we are safe and not attacked
Hi,
  9 am vis 20-25feet,water temp surface 61f to26 feet then 54 degrees a very nice dive.

Yes no sun fish seen just crappies so we weren't attacked.
                              SeahuntJerry  >Big Grin >Sad :o Big Grin
                            Inland Divers vintage scuba club#2
06-01-2010, 02:14 PM,
My buddy Roland checked out over 1/2 of perch lake looking for the buffs but figures that it was just the large common carp that are there that most likely were mistaken for buffalo fish.  He said the commons were up to about the 20# range which is generally considered a pretty good sized carp.  No sunfish were worth spearing for a shore lunch.. he said they were to small.  Thermocline was at 10', visibility was pretty good, but was decided not a lake to go back to and so I will not be making a special trip to get there either.
I think I can trust my buddy to be telling the truth and not just saying all this so I won't go there...

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM,
I just doesn't seem like Perch has been the same since they built the park there.  I remember consistently good viz there 5-6 years ago.  Bummer because it was a nice little dive spot if you only had a half-day.
--Jason
06-05-2010, 10:52 PM,
I went to check out this lake today, and was wondering where the entry points are. I saw the boat trailer paring area, which is quite a walk to the boat launch with doubles.
06-06-2010, 10:22 AM,
There are only two access points.  The boat launch is the one most people use and the other access is on the other side of the lake at the park.  You have to follow the road around to the other side. The park is gated and only open between Memorial Day and Labor Day though and they charge a fee to get in.