Remember me
Lost Password Register

Old Anchors?
06-21-2010, 09:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2010, 09:25 AM by arcFlash.)
Re: Old Anchors?
That round thing on the bottom is an old torque converter from an automatic transmission.

They added the plate (upside down brake rotor?) and eye to make and anchor, probably put cement in where the ATF use to be.

Homemade anchors are commonly called Utah anchors. (No disrespect but that's the name in my book) The classic is a cinder block and rope or the coffee can and chain.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-21-2010, 10:05 AM,
I have never heard of them being called Utah anchors  ;D. It is the best looking homemade anchor I have seen though. Some of them are crude but this one looks well thought out. Infact just yesterday I was in Fleetfarm with my wife and I told her I wanted to look down the anchor aisle. She looked at me like maybe I started drinking again ???

Thanks for posting the photos
06-21-2010, 10:15 AM,
Bowman, that anchor looks like a real antique.

Detector, just tell her your beautiful back yard pond is a "work in progress"  ;D

06-21-2010, 12:26 PM,
Thanks for the insight! An old torque converter, crazy. I've never really had an interest in anchors, besides them being used to keep me in one spot, but after I've found a few now it's getting to be a collection. Thanks for the help!
06-22-2010, 12:45 PM,
Norwegian gold I tell you! You all laughed when I wanted to go anchor hunting on ice dives.  ;D

I think the part that sold me on the hunt is they are easy to find, they have intrinsic value, and reasonable demand or you can give them away easy.
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM,
[quote author=arcFlash link=topic=6265.msg36064#msg36064 date=1277133601]
That round thing on the bottom is an old torque converter from an automatic transmission.

I'm just impressed that my finance degreed, IT employed, diving buddy would know what a torque converter looks like.  Wink  Hopefully its the old tranny converter out of my Silverado, the bottom of a lake and now someones anchor collection is where it belongs.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
06-25-2010, 10:06 AM,
I had a mechanic that stopped by the office look at it and he said it's not a torque converter. He thought the bottom may have resemeble one but nothing else is similar enough. No place to bolt it on and he thought it's too small. Interesting, the hunt continues.
06-25-2010, 10:17 AM,
Fair enough. The bottom photo sure looks like what I remember.

What's inside? Are you considering taking the nut off the top and looking inside for clues?

06-25-2010, 11:35 AM,
Steve is right
This is an old torque converter
In the third picture you are looking at the side that would go to the transmission they cut off the neck and welded the center plate in.
The flywheel mounting tabs would be on the side with the big flat plate on it
Bob 
06-25-2010, 11:45 AM,
I guess it sounds like it is. Thanks for your help guys. I don't know if I'll take the nut off to take a peak inside though it would be interesting to see what they put inside, like arcflash said, could be cement or something. Seems like alot of work to make an anchor.