Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dump truck in mine
07-04-2010, 01:56 PM,
Re: Dump truck in mine
Those are some cool vids there. Doing recovery stuff like that would definitely make diving that much more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing.

Brent
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease
07-05-2010, 04:38 PM,
someone asked about the engine in the truck, Cat 3116 Turbo
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-05-2010, 10:43 PM,
Thanks for posting.  I went out there today; and got some nice dives in (though if I were to do it again, I’d make some Nitrox 32, since air gave me significant decompression obligations to thoroughly explore these vehicles).  Other than some fishermen launching their boats, I had the place to myself.  I’ve dived the Feigh Mine part of the lake many times, but have never been in Huntington Mine (a nice pit by the way, though took me a little while to figure out how to get there on those lovely roads).  I hope they catch the people who did this.  Those are some expensive vehicles, and it will be expensive getting them off the moonscape.  - Kirk   
07-26-2010, 04:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2010, 04:36 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Shooter and I went to Huntington Yesterday and we did a couple dives on the van to recover some things for the Crosby Police Department. Here are pictures of some of the things we recovered for them.

Attached Files
.jpg   PICT0001 (Resized).JPG (Size: 728.41 KB / Downloads: 116)
.jpg   PICT0002 (Resized).JPG (Size: 730.88 KB / Downloads: 101)
.jpg   PICT0004 (Resized).JPG (Size: 666.14 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg   PICT0001 (Resized).JPG (Size: 728.41 KB / Downloads: 116)
.jpg   PICT0002 (Resized).JPG (Size: 730.88 KB / Downloads: 101)
.jpg   PICT0004 (Resized).JPG (Size: 666.14 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg   PICT0006 (Resized).JPG (Size: 925.48 KB / Downloads: 147)
07-26-2010, 05:15 AM,
Good thing you got there yesterday cus the whole vans comming out Tues. or Wed. Smile
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
07-26-2010, 05:30 AM,
Yeah, We ran into the "Underwater Commercial Divers" out of Brainerd yesterday and they told us the same. They also said the Dump truck might be there for a while.
07-26-2010, 07:23 AM,

Yesterday I made a couple mistakes that I am not too proud of regarding 32% and decompression obligations. We were using 32% nitrox. I use a Suunto Vyper on my console and a Tusa IQ 700 on my wrist. I set the Tusa to 32% but I forgot to set the Suuunto to 32% until I was well into the first dive. We continued with the dive with me using just the Tusa. While at the van we had about 5 tasks we wanted to get done and some of these tasks took longer than we planned. With the narcosis and task loading I did not keep enough attention to the no deco time remaining and overshot this by a bit. At the end of our tasks I had a 12 minute decompression obligation with 1,000 pounds of 32% for the ascent. We did our slow ascent to 50' and did a one minute deep stop. we continued slowly to 20' and stopped for a minute. We stopped at 15' for over 3 minutes but I still showed a ceiling of 10' for 8 minutes. I made the slow ascent to the surface as I was getting low on gas. I borrowed Shooters 40 cu ft stage with 32% in it and went back down to 13' to complete my decompression obligation. This took 8 minutes to clear the computer and I stayed there for an extra 2 minutes. I made the ascent and started my sit interval for the next dive. We had about a 2 hour sit interval and did the second dive to the van for about 20 minutes to do two easier tasks at depth. This second dive I made a mini mistake as I was down to 53' and I hit the inflator to add a little heat and all I got was a cold splash on the chest. I guess the inflator hose works better when I actually hook it up to the inflator valve. I connected this and continued the second dive to the van. Lesson learned that complacency is our worst enemy.
07-27-2010, 01:23 PM,

Yesterday I made a couple mistakes that I am not too proud of regarding 32% and decompression obligations. We were using 32% nitrox. I use a Suunto Vyper on my console and a Tusa IQ 700 on my wrist. I set the Tusa to 32% but I forgot to set the Suuunto to 32% until I was well into the first dive. We continued with the dive with me using just the Tusa. While at the van we had about 5 tasks we wanted to get done and some of these tasks took longer than we planned. With the narcosis and task loading I did not keep enough attention to the no deco time remaining and overshot this by a bit. At the end of our tasks I had a 12 minute decompression obligation with 1,000 pounds of 32% for the ascent. We did our slow ascent to 50' and did a one minute deep stop. we continued slowly to 20' and stopped for a minute. We stopped at 15' for over 3 minutes but I still showed a ceiling of 10' for 8 minutes. I made the slow ascent to the surface as I was getting low on gas. I borrowed Shooters 40 cu ft stage with 32% in it and went back down to 13' to complete my decompression obligation. This took 8 minutes to clear the computer and I stayed there for an extra 2 minutes. I made the ascent and started my sit interval for the next dive. We had about a 2 hour sit interval and did the second dive to the van for about 20 minutes to do two easier tasks at depth. This second dive I made a mini mistake as I was down to 53' and I hit the inflator to add a little heat and all I got was a cold splash on the chest. I guess the inflator hose works better when I actually hook it up to the inflator valve. I connected this and continued the second dive to the van. Lesson learned that complacency is our worst enemy.
[/quote]

Congrats on your first in water recompression! I am glad we were able to discuss and plan what to do in the advent of an actual emergency. (Hang me @ 15' on 100% O2)

Pleasure as always diving with you.
07-27-2010, 01:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM by DetectorGuy.)
Thanks man!

Sounds like they are gonna hook a bag on the van tomorrow after noon and "let 'er buck". Someone should get a video of it breeching the water like a Polaris submarine. Anyone wanna take a poll on how much of it comes out of the water?
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM,
I had a meeting in Baxter early this morning and after the meeting I drove out to the pit just to see how it looked after they pulled the truck out and I did not see any sign of something huge being pulled out. 

I stopped by the dive shop and found out that the van was a lot heavier then expected so they will be trying again sometime next week. 

They said the Van was not a standard van but a heavy duty Ford van and the curb weight was a lot more than expected so they will try again when the additional lifting bags come in next week.

Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.