Remember me
Lost Password Register

Couple of computer prices
08-07-2010, 10:39 PM,
Re: Couple of computer prices
Hurry and get in on this one.  Close to what you want to spend.

08-08-2010, 07:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2010, 07:37 AM by DetectorGuy.)
The main pro with a console is that you will not forget it. One other good thing about a console mounted computer is that if you have a nice retractor pulling it in tight and if you run the console under your chest strap, You can have it face up to watch it hands free as you ascend. This might not seem like a big deal to do while you ascend but if you are winding a cave reel or a finger spool you can just look down and see it. Taking video and using a dive light at the same time can also make this handy to glance down and not stop what you are doing to rotate your wrist to see a wrist mount computer or grab or grab a loose console and rotate it.
The cons of having a console is that they are not as hydrodynamic as a wrist mount. Even with a retractor, they are a bit dangly. After the dive, I think its a drag to sit on the couch with my logbook and my whole regulator rig just to retrieve data.
The pros of using a wrist mount is that you can just stick your left arm in front of your light when its dark and not take your light off what its pointing at. Another pro is like what Shooter mentioned that when using a tow sled or a scooter, you have all the info right in front of you. I like the fact that when I fill out my dive log after the dive, I don't have all the reg hoses and regs dripping on the couch.
The cons with a wrist mount are that they are easy to lose or forget. I remedy this by placing the wrist mount inside the mask case with the mask after I have filled out my dive log so its there for the next dive. Between dives I take off my gear and set it on the grass for the surface interval. I have not mastered any ritual for not loosing it during the surface interval, but I try to set it near my mask and in a place where it won't get stepped on or lost. Another con to a wrist mount is that when you move your left hand rapidly from low to high, the computer thinks that you have ascended too rapidly and the profile will show that. This swing of the arm is only about 5' or less but 5' in less than a second tells the computer that this diver is ascending too fast and the ascent rate alarm goes off. Another con (at east with my wrist mount) is that it has a "watch band" and not a bungie mount. The watchband will not fit over the sleeve of the drysuit so I strap it over my glove. The last con with having a wrist mount is this (and this is just my opinion): I use both a console mounted Suunto Vyper, and a wrist mounted Tusa IQ 700. They both have screen protectors on them and I have had them both for the exact same amount of time. The screen protector on the wrist mount is way, way more scratched up than the console mount. This can be fixed with just putting another screen protector on it but my theory is that the wrist mount takes the brunt of alot more exposure to damage as my hands are usually digging, pounding, banging, or bumping into things.

I am probably a bad person to talk to about the pros and cons of either configuration as I always use both at the same time and I like the second opinion that the two different brands of computers offer. I know that many people in here will say that this is not useful as it gets to be a task loading thing... But I like it and it has got me out of a pickle a couple times.
08-08-2010, 09:05 AM,
I don't get all the concern about losing the wrist mount.

When I'm diving, I keep it on my wrist.  When I'm not, I keep it in the reg bag.

Arkman,

Many of the companies who sell wrist mount air integrated computers will sell them without the transmitter.  Then its just a regular dive computer.  At a later time, you can buy the transmitter and make it air integrated.  I'd look for that and see if you can find it in the budget.
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM,

x2  ;D
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM,
Air integrated is annoying and (for me) useless. I was just on a dive with Terry and his integrated computer was beeping constantly for the last 10 minutes of the dive because he was below 500psi (but in 8 feet of water) so it was harmless. We drove the tanks to about 250 by choice.

I know many like this feature but if you dive a lot of shallow stuff maybe your better off without all the warnings it provides.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM,
You can change and turn off the warning on mine.
08-09-2010, 04:03 PM,
Correct. This model is all or nothing and even then the low air is considered so urgent it beeps until you recognize it by holding down the button for 3 seconds. This repeats every 60 seconds or so. Most bothersome. Consider that some functions offer negative value. That's all. I have a Shearwater now so obviously I pay too much for what I want but don't need. :Smile

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-10-2010, 07:44 AM,
The air integrated feature is more like a backup for me. I will still doublecheck it with my SPG. I do a lot of deep diving. I also do what is considered a working dive when I am spearfishing. It is nice to know, if I am overly excited, exactly how much bottom time according to gas that I have left based on my current consumption rate. Especially when you're at 180 feet within narcosis bells ringing loudly, and you spot that 40 pound black grouper. It helps me to settle down and also helps in the decision-making process. Do I have enough time to take the shot and battle the fish and still complete my safety stops?

As far as the warning beeps, the years of automatic weapon fire, explosives, heavy metal music, and diving have taken their toll. I don't hear the beeps. As a matter of fact, when I underwater video my camera has excellent sound. Sometimes when I'm playing the video back for people, they ask me what that beeping is. What beeping? :-\

Attached Files
.jpg   NM000109.jpg (Size: 48.88 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg_thumb   NM000109.jpg_thumb (Size: 50.12 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM,
Little bit of helium would fix that ringing!  My Spg is clipped on my left chest dring  Very easy to see!  I also run a Vytec on my wrist an a shearwater.  The vytec is off the transmitter an I enjoy it  sits along my tank an really cant be hurt in any way!  I have used this set up cave diving an while doing deeper wtrecks on the great lakes!  I see no good reason to go back to a console ever!  Diveing its on my wrist an I put it away with my regs when I am done!  During surface interval I strap it to my right  chest d ring!
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM,
Thanks everyone for the help and information.  I think I have a winner.  Someone offered me a Aeris Atmos II for $125.  Its a wrist model but thats ok.  From what I can find this is a good computer and its a good price.  The seller claims its only been used a couple times because it was their backup.  He put a fresh battery in there for me.

This computer looks nice and sounds like a good deal.  If I'm off here someone please step in and let me know.  The idea behind this computer is to give me an idea of what I want out of a computer and how it will work for my dive style.  When I get used to a computer than I can upgrade to exactly what I'm looking for.