Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM,
Re: Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day
Crap - I have to work that day otherwise I would be up for getting wet.  Maybe another time.
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2010, 02:43 PM by acharpenter.)

Hey there, dont think I have seen ya before - always nice to find more fellow lady divers!

Im Angie, your name...???

If you find the time, (or play hookie), come on out!
09-03-2010, 03:28 PM,

That map is GREAT. I need you to tell me how to do that!
Buckhorns Resort is on the small point towards the South though. It is on the point with the sandy beach. Both Resorts are shut down now. Buckhorns shut down because of the economy and at Mankes there was a drowning a few years ago and they never re-opened.

The public access is on the NE end of Penninsula and the public beach is on the NW end of the penninsula.
09-04-2010, 10:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 10:13 AM by DetectorGuy.)
I will bring my 14' inflatable boat to shuttle divers out to the sites so we can eliminate any major surface swims. I will be at the public boat landing on the end of the penninsula at 2:00 on Sunday. I will bring 2 tanks and an extra one too in case we find another shipwreck. If someone wants to goof around with metal detectors on the last dive I can bring a couple of them too. I have used them at Buckhorns Resort in the deeper water but not in the shallows. I have not used them at Mankes at all so there might be a bit of treasure there. I hate to use them with other people as it spins up the visibility something fierce (But I do like a good muck dive). If anyone (or all of us) wants to get out there earlier, I would be good with that. I realize that if we did start early we might miss an opportunity to make sure everyone is at the ramp at the same time.
09-04-2010, 11:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM by acharpenter.)
COOL!!! Will be at the boat landing at 2!!!

See ya tomorrow all!
09-04-2010, 01:18 PM,
John.  I would LOVE to play with a metal detector.  I don't know if I can go early but I can stay as late as you want.  I'll bring probably 4 tanks so I can do 4 dives.  Man...expensive weekend!!!  Thanks ok.

See you at the boat ramp sunday!
09-05-2010, 01:07 PM,

Hey there, dont think I have seen ya before - always nice to find more fellow lady divers!

Im Angie, your name...???

If you find the time, (or play hookie), come on out!

I ended up having to work and couldn't play hookie.  Let me know how the diving was.  BTW - I always dive wet - by the time I get cold, the dive is just about over anyway

Laurie
09-05-2010, 08:00 PM,
Good times tonight - sorry you missed it Laurie...come on out to Crosby the 25/26th - I have a thread for that one....

Thanks guys, had a blast and HUGE thanks to John for bringing out the boat and ferrying us around.  Telling yall, we looked like we were straight out of a movie or something tooling around on the lake tonight!

PS - Owe ya some $$ for gas John, totally spaced it tonight!

I didnt get my camera out until the end but hey....pics are pics!

09-05-2010, 08:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2010, 06:14 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Yep, It was a good day to be diving. Good people, Good weather, good times. We dove on the pointy bow wood boat first and viz was only about 5'-6'. I took several photos but for some reason the shutter stayed open too long on each of them and they got fuzzy. I did get some video of a fish swimming around the boat that I will post on youtube shortly. At the end of this dive we took the cement blocks out of the boat so now it looks more natural. I stacked up the blocks a few feet to the East of the boat. After removing the blocks we noticed a 1/4" nylon line tied to the boat under the back seat and the other end was tied to a kids sized snorkel fin. We left it there and went to shore to change out tanks.
The second dive we went to the upside down sailboat. A kid on the dock near there hollered out to us and asked if we dive for a living. I said no, but I would like to. He asked if we would like to make some money and told us he would pay us $20 if we would find his glasses he lost a month ago. We told him we would try. We dove down to to the sailboat and checked it out for a bit and then surfaced. We then went back down and dug around the edges of the boat to break the suction and flipped it over. It looks a lot better upside right. This boat is kinda fragile and there were a lot of wood pieces under the boat. From here we swam to the North a bit and then back to the boat. At the end of the dive we went to the area where the kid lost his glasses and we found them right away. I took off my mask about 3' under the surface and put the glasses on. As I surfaced the kid was standing there with his jaw on the ground. He paid me $20 and then took my photo with me holding the $20 while wearing his glasses. Then He asked if we could find a large socket he lost off his dock and I dove down and grabbed it too. Nice pay for 3 minutes "work". We went back to the landing and BS'd for a while and watched the hilarity of people loading their boat. Thanks people for diving with me.

Angie, you don't owe me a dime for fuel, That little boat is so easy on gas that every once in a while I need to stop and let a little out Smile. Some day I will bring that boat up to the big lake and hit the Ely and some of the other harder to get to wrecks.
09-05-2010, 09:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2010, 06:18 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Here is a link to the short video of the Crappie  Sunfish near the sunk boat:

Here is a link to the edited video stating the correct species: