Remember me
Lost Password Register

Semi-dry suit recommendations...
03-31-2003, 05:31 PM,
Re:Semi-dry suit recommendations...
A scuba diving semi-dry is essentially a tight fitting neoprene drysuit without the valves. They should have the exact same neck, wrist and ankle seals as a neoprene drysuit.

Having said that, I can assure you that after two hours in the water I was still bone-dry inside of my freediving wetsuit. The whole inside surface of a freediving wetsuit is, essentially, one big drysuit seal. It sucks onto your skin and moves with you- no bagginess at all. They have wrist, face,ankle and waist seals on them to prevent any water flow. They have no zippers to leak water, or break, on you. They also allow you to wear less weight and move more easily than any scuba suit I have ever tried- although Henderson has tried to do a pretty good rip-off with their "gold-core" series and almost comes close.

Fred has caused quite a stir on the freedivng board with his talk of Elios wetsuits. I see that there are a bunch of Canadians lining up to buy those suits for some real cold water freediving. At the price they sell for I am even thinking about one and I don't even need one. They seem to sell for less than half the price of my Picasso-sub wetsuit, which was the gold standard of wetsuit until now! Wink

For scuba diving I would still go with a drysuit if you have the cash and plan to go below 60'. If your a newer diver I might suggest getting a good wetsuit this season and growing into a drysuit when you have more money, and dives under your belt.

As far as the cold hands and feet go, I have switched to Picassosub 3 finger dry mitts that lock into my wetsuit and OMER 5mm booties that seal onto my wetsuit pants. No more cold hands or feet. 8)

Hope this helps

Jon

"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM,
Jean, I can't add much to the other posts other than I moved from a semi-dry two years ago to a trilam and will never use the semi-dry again. There is no comaparison. I don't know that I could sell the semi-dry in good conscience. I will probably give it to a newly certified diver who will cannot afford a dry suit. You seem to dive frequently enough to justify a dry suit. You had better order one now because the dive season starts in three week. Paul
04-01-2003, 07:33 AM,
Thanks Paul...I think the TLS350 is my choice. I have a hot tip on some used ones (I HOPE!!!). With all the opinions I have heard I might as well go dry instead of semi-dry. With all the diving that I do , it is worth the investment.

Jean Big Grin
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
04-01-2003, 12:29 PM,
Jean,

You noted that you are set on a TLS350 - have you considered alternative drysuit choices? I was considering a new or refurbished DUI suit - unfortunately my budget dictated my choice a little bit, but I ended up purchasing a brand new Dive Rite 905 dry suit from SD&T.

This is a fabulous suit!!!! It comes standard with a warm neck collar, reinforced knees, butt, elbows, and shoulders(helps with harness wear) two leg pockets, and a zipper guard.

The boots are pretty nice, but if you want rock boots you can always have DUI retrofit them for you. I think thats about $100-$150 extra, but if you really want them you can get them. I am sticking with the standard boots for right now - I really like em Smile

The Dive Rite suit is much cheaper than a DUI suit and you get many more features standard. The trilam material is a little thicker, but it is still a really nice suit - I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now and I love it.

Just a thought if you can't find a TLS350 that fits your budget.

Safe diving,
~groovekitty*
04-01-2003, 12:31 PM,
BTW - I agree with you decision not to get a semi-dry suit. For a little extra $, warmth, and comfort a dry suit is really the way to go. You won't regret your purchase!!!

I have never been warmer!!!

~groovekitty*
04-01-2003, 12:55 PM,
As a matter of fact , the dive-rite was high on my list. I have talked to Rich about this and that could be my choice
(if the price is right , so to speak!!!) And it is so nice to hear from someone who uses the suit. That makes my decisions even easier.

Thanks again for all the advice , groovekitty*!!!
(I won't ask about the *...)

Jean Smile
04-01-2003, 03:22 PM,
Jean,

Glad to be of assistance. I actually bought my Dive Rite 905 from Rich at SD&T. Good luck getting your new suit!

I think you actually saw me in it at Wazee last summer - my suit is blue and black and I was diving with the folks from SD&T.

Anyways...have a great day!!!
~groovekitty* (i'll keep you guessing on the *) Smile
04-02-2003, 11:10 AM,
Now that you mention it , I think I did see you !!!
Hope to see you out there this year...I'll be the one trying to count "the flowers on the WALL".
I will let you know on the ongoing battle with the exposure suit!!!! But I am sure now I am going dry , not semi-dry!!!

Thanks...Jean Smile

P.S. And still no hint on what the * is ???
Hmmmm...Keeps me guessing!!!