Remember me
Lost Password Register

2 months of rain superior/lake water clarity
07-10-2013, 07:07 AM,
Re: 2 months of rain superior/lake water clarity
my kids have swam the surface in shorts. while i dive drysuit at depth. temp varies. I think it could be done in 5mil or thicker. or double piece. but youd have to have every thing covered. face mask, gloves,
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
07-10-2013, 07:10 AM,
for sure it can be done in a "semi-dry suit" these have seals on all ends, but not presurized. so you dive it like a regular wetsuit. some of local scuba shops rent them, so you can try it out first and get a feel for if its for you.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM,

Understood.  I did a dive on the Madeira about 18 years ago when I was in college in a crappy rented 7mm wetsuit and froze my butt off.  I now own a 7mm fullsuit with a 7mm step-in vest and am hoping that that will be bit more comfortable - at least for a dive or two.  Part of the reason for wanting to dive the Madeira this year is to see if my wife and I enjoy MN lake diving enough to think about going the drysuit route.

Hydro, thanks for that link.

James
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM,
there are other clearer lakes that you could dive, inland without a drysuit.
07-12-2013, 09:37 AM,
I like the idea of seeing some of Superior's wrecks, but warmer, clearer waters would certainly be nice.  Any lakes in particular you'd recommend?

James
07-12-2013, 09:44 AM,
Lake wazee in black river falls wi is about the only warm clear lake I know of... seems like those things are mutually exclusive.. lake michigan is warmer than superior.. vis can vary but lots of wrecks there.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
07-12-2013, 05:27 PM,
how about lake Watab. sterns co. about one hour out of cities or less, towards st cloud.
offical vis around 12 ft or so. but thats surface vis. below thermocline it can be better. perhaps like 20-25ft. but again its colder. its a trout lake. solid hard bottom mostly. some of the lake is deeper.

there are some shallow lakes with vis aproaching 20-30ft. all small lakes with lots of weed growth that off sets green water.
07-13-2013, 01:22 PM,
Watab is decent, it was the second lake i dove in.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun