Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving permits, rules?
05-14-2003, 11:38 AM,
Re:Diving permits, rules?
We dove Harriet off the N.W corner (I think?). There was a large parking area right off of the access. We basically dove right off of the boat launch/access.

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
05-14-2003, 03:23 PM,
It's always a great idea to get as much info about your dive site as you can and that includes talking to any local authorities. Most of the time you'll just get a blank stare or a confused "huh" when you ask about diver requirements but they appreciate being asked anyway. The most important requirements locally are in effect for your (& other's) safety, such as not diving through boat landing areas (come to the surface if you have to cross such an area), not diving in areas designated as navigation channels (Lake Mtka has alot of these that would be great dives). Obviously when you dive in the Mississippi you need to aware of where the boat traffic needs to go and not interefere with their ability to navigate safely.
The north end of Calhoun is great for treasure (just east of the north beach). This is the location of the old Cedar Lake Ice Company. and there is alot of modern "treasure" also. Please be careful in Calhoun as there are some areas with coils of steel cable that make great entanglement hazards. I would encourage everyone to try new places. You never know what you may find if you're the first diver on a site, and when you find something really cool don't keep it a secret from the rest of us. One more idea, if your diving the city lakes, (or anywhere for that matter) take along a small mesh bag or a garbage bag for all the junk you find.
05-14-2003, 08:43 PM,
Thanks, SmithDiving - great feedback.
- Dan