Remember me
Lost Password Register

pirannha's in minnesota lakes
05-15-2003, 12:56 PM,
Re:pirannha's in minnesota lakes
Umm...yeah...that wouldn't be too cool now would it.
05-16-2003, 06:24 AM,
Ah , but the Warhammer below the thermo would be quite cool!!! So , when do we start doing piranah hunting dives???
(I wonder if they like hot dogs?)

Jean Wink
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
04-17-2004, 07:56 AM,
:Smile
Actually they are PACU a type of piranha but which only eat vegetation. They were probably released into the lake from somebodys aquarium and would not survive the winter. I saw the news story on this and thats what they said anyway. I love this board and keep up the great posts.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
04-17-2004, 08:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2004, 08:42 AM by Freedive WI.)
There was one caught a few years ago in Columbia Lake, which is in the southern part of the state. The guy who caught it actually registered it with the DNR for largest line caught pirannah in the state!

The lake itself is actually the cooling pond of a HUGE power plant. The water is around 80 degrees year round. The vis is aweful, but the kayakers and jet skiers use it all winter long.

Here's a shot I took of it one, very cold, winter day. The air temp was below 0, but the water temp was 63 degrees halfway around the lake, which is in the shape of a giant horse shoe.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   plant_frost.jpg (Size: 71.7 KB / Downloads: 48)
.jpg_thumb   plant_frost.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.19 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-17-2004, 09:17 AM,

What has the world come to - vegetarian piranhas ???