Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving the Mall of America! (MOA)
01-19-2004, 02:37 PM,
Re:Diving the Mall of America! (MOA)

BTW: Everyone has registered and we are cool to go!!!

Se ya Wednesday...
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-20-2004, 10:33 AM,
Woot! Ok, is anyone bringing a camera? I read that the disposable ones don't work and that you should bring (attached only) lights and strobes.
See you all tomorrow! Yee!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-20-2004, 11:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2004, 01:42 PM by ChrisW.)
jean is bringing her uw camera. w00t

fyi: it is true: those disposables do NOT work. <not enough light>
01-21-2004, 03:21 PM,
Enjoy! Be sure and post your comments & photos.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
01-22-2004, 08:27 AM,
Dive Stats:
Dive #1 (Fresh Water)
Time In: 18:29 Time Out: 18:48
Max Depth: 11 Feet Bottom Time: 19 Mins
Temp: 71
(This dive was *WAY* too short...)

Dive #2 (Salt Water)
Time in: 19:26 Time Out: 20:01
Max Depth: 11 Feet Bottom Time: 35 Mins
Temp: 72

Total Bottom Time: 51 Minutes

More later! Just needed to post the stats. A fun time was had by all!!! I will send my film in today and hopefully get it back next week to share.

Jean ;D

P.S. I just wish the dives were longer... :'(
01-22-2004, 09:34 AM,
No doubt! That's like only one dive of bottom time. Sounds like a fun time but for the amount they charge, you should get more time than that.
01-22-2004, 09:44 AM,
They give you smaller air tanks. What were they, 50's? I started with 2200 psi and ended with 700 psi.

It was awesome! We did two dives, one in fresh water where we got to feed 4-5 foot long sturgons and the second one in the shark cove. I had a 5 foot wide manta ray play demolition derby with me. Man, they don't know how to just 'go around' do they. lol. I had a 4 foot long Barracuda about 2-3 feet away from me staring into my eyes. I think she liked me (I think it was a she). The sharks are very habitual creatures. They like to swim in the same pattern all day, every day and they aren't happy when something gets in their way or forces them to change their pattern. lol. It took 3 guides to keep the sharks away from us at one point. hehe. Jessie, the biggest and horneriest one was remarkabally calm and stayed away form us most of the night. It's a whole different world seeing 4-7 foot sharks mere feet away from you. Seeing their mouth full of razor sharp teeth is a little unsettling at first. lol.
Oh, and I got a post-separatum sharkbite. Ok, ok, I was putting shark teeth I collected in my glove because I had no where else to put them and one cut into my wrist.
I'm not sure if I'd do this every year, but I will definately do it again. It is a great way to get back in diving shape for the year. Smile
Now if I could just be there on shark feeding day. hehe.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &quot;Damn...that was fun!&quot;
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM,
From what I gathered listening to our guides and reading the dive evaluation at the end, there are two factors for length of dive, #1 being air. You only get one tank for both dives so we had to have 1500 psi left for the second dive. I believe I had 1750 left so the first dive could have gone longer. The 2nd being diver enjoyment. When the divers start showing signs of losing interest they start to end the dive to so nobody gets bored thus ending on a positive note. They want you to enjoy yourself (and maybe even learn something ??? if only by accident) so you'll come back and recomend the dive to friends.
01-22-2004, 10:16 AM,

I agree with this Punky. When I went in November our freshwater dive was definitely longer than 20 minutes. I know that we were all quite efficient breathers, and we were having a blast in there. Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it though, looking forward to some pics! (Mine didn't turn out!) :'(
Enthusiasm is contagious. Start an epidemic.
01-22-2004, 10:30 AM,
Hopefully , the pics will turn out. It turns out that some dummy forgot the flash diffuser so the strobe was not working as designed. But the regular camera flash was working so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I was having a riot taking pics and watching the sturgeons get up close and personal with everybody during dinner time. Chad sure made "friends" with one!!! :o
And we didn't even get bothered by the snapping turtles they have in there now. But the sea turtles were napping most of the time so they didn't come to visit us...That was sad... :'(

And of course , for the 2nd year in a row , Jean got hung up on the "SAME TREE BRANCH" again on the far side of the fresh-water tunnel. Next time I am bringing a saw with me and solve the problem permanently! Wink

My great thanks to Chad , Punky and Chrisw (thanks for the F.G.G...It was most appreciated) for a wonderful time , even though its never long enough. And thanks to Dan (the 5th diver) who was just great!

Jean ;D