Remember me
Lost Password Register

Scuba Flag???
06-13-2003, 11:53 AM,
Re:Scuba Flag???
The difference in drag is negligeable unless maybe you're using a tractor tire innertube...LOL! :Smile I much prefer the small yellow innertubes that say "Diver Below" on them with the little red diver down flag on top. They seem to be pretty decent floats.
06-13-2003, 12:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2003, 12:03 PM by mixelpix.)
How is the drag on those floats when you have some "weather" up above... Choppy water etc.
The difference in drag is negligeable unless maybe you're using a tractor tire innertube...LOL! :Smile I much prefer the small yellow innertubes that say "Diver Below" on them with the little red diver down flag on top. They seem to be pretty decent floats.
[/quote]
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
06-13-2003, 12:11 PM,
I just looked at the Mn statutes that started this thread and I wonder if the little yellow float meets those requirements. I see the flags are 16x20. If the 20" is the height of the flag, is the innertube at least 10" high? to meet the requirement of the top of the flag being at least 30" from the water surface?

[/quote]
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
06-13-2003, 12:26 PM,
re: innertube float with dive flag

I was using one of these last October on Square Lake in a 10-15 knot wind
with gusts to 20+ kts and two interesting things happened: the innertube
actually flipped over and the drag was such that I got pulled up and back
by the line.

btw, i did see the trees eating Jean's flag line last weekend...
06-13-2003, 01:58 PM,
mixelpix, I don't think there is a problem with the yellow inflatable floats. I've never seen a sheriff or ranger out there with a tape measure.

You can feel some resistance towing the float in high winds. I can't remember my float ever tipping over though. I have a 3lb weight tied to the bottom to give the float more stability. It works really well.
--Jason
06-13-2003, 02:58 PM,

Chris, this sounds like fun. Anyone game for wind-diving next time it's windy? We just make a sail out of a very big dive flag, tie to the inner tube, and hold on.

Derrick
06-13-2003, 03:26 PM,
Do you have the nylon covered innertube, or just an innertube when this happened? Just wondering if I should add a weight to mine to keep this from happening. Tongue
06-13-2003, 04:00 PM,
I have switched over to a spearfishing float. They are shaped like a torpedo and have a lot less drag in the water. I can also attach things to it like a:

fish stringer
water bottle
extra speargun
extra mask
bag full of defog, candy bars ect.

I do this because when I freedive I am in the water fro a good 6-8 hours straight and want to have things with me.

I have attached a picture of my old float. My new was is a sold foam filled one made by a South African comapany called ROB ALLEN. It sells for around $30 and you can't put a hole in it. It also comes with a larger dive flag than my previous one had.

When on SCUBA I pull my float around with a small DiveRite cavern reel. I have had the same reel for many years and never had a problem with it.

When I spearfish shallow I just have a 20' line attached to the back of my gun on one end and the front of the float on the other. The float stays with me and I can always drop my gun to mark a spot if I want.

In deeper water I use my Halcyon Finger Spool instead of the 20' line. This way I can let out as much line as I want and tie off the rest to the float. The other end, as always, is attached to my speargun.

The cheaper SPorasub spearfishing float is only about $12 form DIVEINN.com

I bought the Rob Allen Float form FLORIDA FREEDIVERS. THey sell two types a 7-liter and an 11-liter model. Both are filled with foam and have dive flags on the tops of them. THey are also internally weighted to stay upright.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   FLOAT.jpg (Size: 49.42 KB / Downloads: 68)
.jpg_thumb   FLOAT.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-16-2003, 08:57 AM,

It was a nylon covered innertube...
08-01-2003, 11:45 AM,
Jon, with the torpedo floats the line attaches to the front end right? At least it does on the one in this link (awfully spendy btw). What I'm wondering is if the line is attached to the front and you were using it for scuba and want to keep the line taut that the float would be tipped vertical with the nose in the water and the flag will be sideways with the potential of losing the flag and pole or wouldn't that happen? I'm just curious if the torpedos would be decent for scuba diving or not where you want the line snug unlike for freediving.