Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Lights
07-29-2003, 02:41 PM,
Dive Lights
Hello All, I really like night diving but only have a puny, 4 C-cell UW light. My back up is even smaller - a 4 AA cell light, practically useless!

I'd like to purchase a heavy-duty light, but don't have the experience in their use. All product information claims their light(s) to be the best - of course!

What advice / experience have you have?

Some specs me thinks of is: rechargable, longer than one-hour burn time, possibly HID (but the bulbs are mucho expensive), and somewhat light & portable. Oh, and under $1,000!

Thanks ~ Mark
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
07-29-2003, 06:42 PM,
Re:Dive Lights
I'm no expert in this area but I've been looking at lcanister lights after using one last week at square... Dive Rite and Halcyon both have lights under $1000. SDT has some Dive Rite lights with halogen heads for approx $400, they can be found on the net too but I prefer to buy from local shops.. >Gotta support local businesses to keep them going.

Other than that, it sounds like you and I have the identical lighting setup... Time to upgrade.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
07-29-2003, 07:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2003, 07:42 PM by LKunze.)
I've read some great reviews about the Terkel - Sollys canister lights. I've also heard great things about the Dive Rite's and Halcyon's. I definately would go with NiMH batteries with whatever light you decide to get though just because having a smaller less bulky canister is real nice.
Currently I'm using one of DanL's custom can lights with the NiMH batteries. It's working great but the burn time is a bit short (just under an hour) since it uses a 50 watt halogen bulb instead of HID. Maybe at some point I'll have to get an HID light head for it. Here is a pic of my DanL light.

Attached Files
.jpg   light.jpg (Size: 85.47 KB / Downloads: 62)
.jpg_thumb   light.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-30-2003, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2003, 12:03 PM by Inspirationdiver.)
I use the Dive Rite HID 10 Watt with NiMH mini-wreck canister. I've been very happy with this purchase. The canister is slightly larger than a pop can and I get 4 hours of burn time. Dive Rite also has excellent customer service. Last year it flooded on me and wrecked the bulb. I sent it back to Dive Rite and they warantied the bulb and had it back to me in just one week. Here's a link to their webpage.

07-30-2003, 08:05 AM,
In MHOP, Dive Rite's Wreck 1 is a great 10W HID unit. Tough as nuts, great illumination (available in both fixed and adjustable lens formats), and extremely well priced. I use the MR11 with gel cells. Four hour rated burn time, depending upon age and condition of the batteries. The NiMH format is indeed a superior battery as far as increased burn time and life expectancy but more pricey. Replacement bulbs for the 10W are @ $35. If you treat the head with care and follow the recommended usage guidelines, a bulb should last quite some time.

Check 'em out at:

Then visit your local dealer to learn more.
07-30-2003, 08:08 AM,
Ok, guess Dive Rite can send us our checks for the free product plugs, eh? Big Grin
07-30-2003, 09:27 AM,
Where are you getting bulbs for $35?
07-30-2003, 09:37 AM,
Mark,
We have rental HID canister lights if you would like to try before buying. I rent the MR11 10watt HID with 6 degree or 13 degree bulbs for $9/ day. Wednesday night fun dives are a great place to try these out. Check dive shop events for more info.

Happy Diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net