Remember me
Lost Password Register

Beginner equipment recommendations?
08-29-2003, 10:17 AM,
Re:Beginner equipment recommendations?
I didn't mind Spearit's post at all. He made several good points. I need every opinion and it becomes a matter of working through what will work for me. Wink He is correct in saying; not using equipment how it is designed and tailored for the circumstances is a big issue. (ie: something like modifying your kick to minimize kicking up silt along the bottom). I'm not quite sure what a 'mouth' diver. I can only guess it means someone who can talk the talk, but hasn't or doesn't walk the walk. Smile
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-29-2003, 10:19 AM,
As far as dressing mats go, I found some kennel lining mats at Fleet Farm. They are plastic grating that allows all the water to run right through. Anyone who uses or have used tarps can see the advantage here. No dirty mess to set your gear in.
08-29-2003, 10:53 AM,
Also, don't buy one of those blue tarps. After a couple weekends they start to develop holes. I use a heavy duty brown tarp. It still looks good after almost two years. If you really want your gear area to look pretty you can talk to Lonnie about his "designer" mat. haha Smile
--Jason
08-29-2003, 11:18 AM,
The dive bucket is one of my best buys. I just put all my gear in a heavy duty, cloth bag in my trunk the first couple years I dove. It would drip down into my trunk and water would collect down in the spare tire carrier. I finally bought a large tupperware container this year and was amazed at how much water it collects in the bottom on the way home. I would recomend NOT drilling holes in the bottom for drainage, unless you have a truck or some other way of catching the dripping water. That way, your gear still can drain off, then you can just dump the water out when you get home.

08-29-2003, 11:23 AM,
Wow! Thanks Gramps. I haddn't gotten to that stage yet. I am still looking for equipment. lol. Hmm, I guess I better be ready to store and care for it as well.
How does everyone store their gear? I have a 1 bdrm apartment with a public underground garage. Sad I guess my apartment is going to smell like rubber and lake. blegh! Any tips for that?
I do have a 33 gallon rubbermaid chest w/ wheels on one side and a handle on the other and fits nicely in my trunk with room to spare. Wink
Do most people use dressing mats at sites to change?
Hmm, a dive bucket with holes? I suppose I could drill holes in my rubbermaid, though not leaking watter has its benefits like in the trunk of my car.
Thanks again,
-Chad
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-29-2003, 11:37 AM,
"designer" mat

Hey! No bashing the 'designer' mats... haha

Those work great, easy to fold up and easy to store... Probably one of my favorite pieces of 'dive gear'.

Smile

I think I got mine at Wal Mart or Target... kind of a cream color with green stripes and a handle.
08-29-2003, 11:39 AM,
Lemme explain why the holes in the bottom of the dive bucket work for me:

I take off my gear and put it in the bucket, which I have on the ground. Any major gear drainage happens while we are all standing around talking dive talk "I went to a zillion feet and saw this huge fish, blah, blah" When I'm ready to split, most draining has occured. I put the bucket into my vehicle and it sits on the rubber backed carpet. Any or remaining drippage fall onto that instead of my van carpet. The rubber backed stuff dries out pretty quickly and to be honest, doesn't stink. Run the car vac over it and put it out in the sun every once in a while. Swank!
08-29-2003, 01:36 PM,
ha... my Ford Explorer IS my dive bucket, at least from the back of the front seats to the rear! ;D
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-08-2003, 06:36 PM,
Ha HA, Hes not kiding He could outfit a freediving army out of the back of that thing Big Grin Big Grin