Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Computers
03-08-2003, 08:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2003, 08:15 PM by tbrown.)
Re:Dive Computers
To answer igotoofar's question, I would recomend a non-air integrated computer. My reasons are that I take a "middle of the road" approach to computers. I have a wrist computer, along with a set of anolag gauges, and a bottom timer (watch), and a set of tables/wheel. If my computer fails on me, my gauges, timer, and tables will let me finish my dive, and continue diving. I was talking to a friend of mine about a dive he took with someone who had an integrated unit. The poor guy turned it on, did a very long surface swim, submerged to 5 ft, and his computer quit, and the dive had to be called. If the same happens to me, I just switch to "plan B" and dive tables. Besides it's a good idea to consult tables when doing your plan anyway. On the other hand, some have sugested that relying on computers is bad. I think that depends on your definition of "relying". Myself, I cannot track a multilevel dive as accuratley as my computer. I just can't recalculate every 15 to 30 seconds and constantly readjust like my computer can. Maybe if I get a little better at my "cipherin" Wink. Also if my plan changes, the computer can adjust more than my brain can. I have done many dives where the orginal plan was to go to say 80' but found all the action was shallower, so I changed and came up to the shallower depths. Now I could take out my tables and recalculate my plan, or I can trust my computer and just enjoy the action. As long as I am staying well within recreational limits, (good advise at any time) that is a risk I am comfortable taking. After all, the whole point of recreational diving is to have fun in a safe manner. And I think that is a function that computers can do.

Besides, non integrated units are generaly less than integrated ones and you can use the difference in $ to hire a sherpa to carry your gear. ;D
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
03-17-2003, 03:08 PM,
Re:Dive Computers
Just to wrap this topic up, I purchased a VR3.