Remember me
Lost Password Register

CROSBY BY DATE>
04-26-2006, 02:29 PM,
Re: CROSBY BY DATE>
The camper is cleaned, stocked and charged up. I need to refill my tanks and I'm ready to go.
Cary
04-26-2006, 05:38 PM,
which one is the mines?
[/quote]
Basically all of the lakes below the labeled ones in the center of the map are the mines.  There are several.  Some of the access roads are blocked off now by the DNR though which may limit accessing some of the dive sites. >Sad
04-27-2006, 06:53 AM,
Sagacity, and anyone new to Crosby -
Meet a dive buddy who knows the area at a local landmark like the Holiday station in Crosby, at Mn School of Diving in Brainerd or at the McD's on the east side of Brainerd, and follow them to the site of choice.
The roads back into the pits are rough, unmarked and can be dangerous (flooded) when there is high water. Easy to get lost, too.
Also, given your investment in even one trip to Crosby (gas $$$'s, air, etc), it's worth getting the excelllent maps available at MSD.  You can buy one map at a time that is specific for the area of the pits that you are going to dive.
Suggest also that you read a bit about the area, talk to the folks at MSD, and generally familiarize yourself with the diving environment.
I wrote up an emergency response plan for the area, but I can't find the file.  You should have at least a general idea of who to call, where to go and what kind of help to expect if a problem arises. Cell phones don't always work there.
Note - MSD is worth a visit.  Bill is one of the original PADI members, has quite a collection of old diving gear in the shop, and anyone in the shop can enlighten you about the area and diving the pits.
Dan L
04-27-2006, 07:59 AM,
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)
  Thanks JIMBO...    Of course I appreciate your thoughts.  Of course, my plan is the best case scenario.  However,  everything and every dive depends on how I feel at the time.  If you asked me right now if I was going, I'd say no.  I've got so much stuff to get done that I can't realistically justify going up for the entire weekend,  BUT  I  AM..  8)

ClaystainDIVER .....  Shooter is also going to join us.  My first dive Sat. a.m  is going to be at 6:00 a.m. Trying to get a picture of the giant man eater that lurks down by the cave and is some times haning around the electric pole.

JIMBO... your buying next time.
maxfactor

04-27-2006, 09:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM by LKunze.)
If anyone has GPS coordinates to the various dive accesses at Crosby please post them along with details/names of sites etc.  Wink I've been to most of the sites but posting the GPS info would be handy.
04-27-2006, 10:19 AM,

I'll have to give MSD a visit. One of the few shops I haven't been to yet Big Grin

Crosby sounds like a place to go once I get more familiar w/ Local Diving. I look forward to going there though!
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM,

And a place to go after you have that cold water regulator to. I do notice the second thermo when diving in the crosby pits most of the time. And on occasion, seems I noticed a third (or was that just the beer when I was done for the day?).

Really you don't need to familiarize yourself with minnesota diving before diving the pits. Many divers get certified right in them. But it is good to go with someone who has been there or get met and directed in them. Its a bit hard to give directions without road signs. Once you get to know the main roads back there, its not really that difficult to find your way around.

Cary
04-27-2006, 12:08 PM,

You're bring your wife up?  ;D Sorry couldn't resist a poke at the giant man eater :Smile

I'll be up Saturday morning. If the weather gets ugly, its nice to have a warm camper to hide in. Or a least hang out under the canopy during the rain. Could be hit and miss on the rain this weekend with what the weather man has been saying. Or could be we luck out and miss it all while the cities get drowned.
Cary
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM,
GPS coordinates"      I can get Joan and Louise tomorrow for you.  I actually have Louise on my computer, but the van's all packed and if I get one more delay now, I won't get up there till midnight.

Shooter,  I am not bringing the neighbood kids with me.  I decided that it would be to many for 2 days of camping.

Cary,  see you up there in the am.    Diver Dave is going to meet ME at HOLIDAY GAS STATION at 9:00 a.m. 

TO ALL DIVERS THAT MAY BE GOING TO CROSBY AND NOT FAMILIAR WITH LOCATION.  A COUPLE OF US WILL BE HAVING BREAKFAST IN TOWN EARLY AND MEETING AT THE HOLIDAY GAS STATION AT 9:00 A.M.  WE WILL LEAVE AT 9:15    IF YOU GET LOST, ASK PEOPLE THEY CAN GIVE YOU DIRECTIONS TO LOUISE.

MAXFACTOR
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2006, 10:19 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
Action packed weekend.  Friday night got up to Crosby at 9.00   no buddy..      Decided to go into town and have a glass of water.   

Overslept.   Woke to more rain, rain, rain,   Finally Diver Dave shows up.  Still no sight of  CLAYSTAIN DIVER, and or SHOOTER... but thats ok.   I understand.     

Only got 3 dives in on Sat.   the great Pope PAUL from GUDC shows up,   gets a dive in,   and both of us help a fellow diver with a medical situation. 

Proceed back to watering hole in town,  decide to stay late.

FOUND A MASK   in Louise.   U.S. Divers, approx. 120.00 mask,   within one hour  I drive to Brainerd at Dive shop,  and find the diver who lost it.   

Sunday,  POPE PAUL, and I Try to find the truck in Joan, for some reason we can't.    10 -12  foot  visibility.   Water temp 41

I also found the knife that fell out of my pounch last Nov.  in JOAN..   I told Pope Paul, approximately the position it would be in, as I knew I had it when I left the truck last year, and I knew the dive I took back to the entry area.  I guess its easier to find something thats lost  then something thats stolen.

All things considered, the weekend was both a bust and a blessing.  Glad my dive buddy is ok after his medical.

ONE SAD THOUGHT.,...  ST. Cloud dive shop had 4 divers out there Sunday, and all of the rest of the state had myself and Pope Paul.     When its raining its wet down there anyway.  LETS DIVE.

SORRY NO GPS TRACKING... Although I will get the Louise GPS posted by TUES.

A new lake was formed in the road.  ITs about 30 yards long by the entire width of the road and 8 inches deep.  zero vis. on the holes below water.

LOTS OF POT HOLES, CRATERS and red iron dirt stains.  ISN"T CROSBY GREAT.  Pope Paul and I HAVE NEW FRIENDS IN CROSBY Tongue Big Grin

MaxFactor