Remember me
Lost Password Register

Saying Goodbye to SCUBA Daddy's
11-27-2007, 02:24 PM,
Re: Saying Goodbye to SCUBA Daddy's
I would like to add another good reason to buy from a local dive shop. By buying from a local dive shop, you have the benefit of the manufacturer's warranty. Any problems and you can just stop in your local shop and have the problem corrected. If it had to be sent in for repair your local dive shop could easily offer a loaner to keep you in the water. As opposed to having to send your gear via mail back to where you purchased it and be without until they send it back. All based on their warranty and customer service and not the manufacturer's warranty.

Additionally, I have purchased my equipment from a local dive shop and keep it under warranty by proper maintenance. As a result, when the manufacturer discontinued my regulator and parts were unavailable for service, they upgraded my regulators with brand new ones for a very nominal fee. The same with my 10+ year old dive computer that was acting up and needed batteries (non user replaceable). I was quoted approximately $200 each to send in the computer and transmitter for battery replacement, with no guarantee that it would correct the problem. The equipment sales rep, through the local dive shop offered me a deal to trade the old computer for a brand new current equivalent (about $1200 retail) for about $300 bucks.

I will gladly pay a little more to do business at a local dive shop for all the benefits that come with it.
11-27-2007, 03:39 PM,
Here's the real kicker to Dive Store Loyalty.
Read Nemo's past posts.
It isn't hard to figure out what Dive store he is an employee of.

Your past threads that have been shut down recently aren't appreciated Nemo.
Nor are your underlying messages.
They are Crystal clear.

Focus your topics on diving or take up Bowling instead.
We enjoy it here,
but not the crap you continue to write.

11-27-2007, 03:41 PM,
I'm a local buyer. I don't buy cheap gear from fly-by-night industries. The other reason is they need the business and it's not always about the money. If you ever go into a shop because the airfills are convenient or you just need a new snorkel, whatever it is, the shop is there because they make a small profit. If you lost that store would you be upset to drive the 10 miles in the wrong direction just for air? If so, support the store, save someones job, buy local. Specialty store are worth a few extra bucks.

If you work in an industry without competition great, but us that have know what it's like to see scum come in and load up on advice and try gear on and then not buy it. It's not 'free' advice, it's specially advice from someone you can look in the eye. That's what you're paying for. If you value the advice, pay for it.

If money is so tight that you can't pay the local price, I recommend you use the money to fund your retirement account and take up a cheaper hobby.

I use specialy stores whenever possible, they are always better!
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-27-2007, 06:17 PM,
I hope all you cry babies don't spend your money at Wal-Mart.
11-27-2007, 06:35 PM,
In my business if people don't buy my products and services it is not their fault. It is mine.  I haven't done a good enough job explaining to the customer why my products and services are better.  Or, I failed to change my business model to meet the needs of a changing customer base. 

I live close to a Home Depot and a little hardware store (Hance Hardware).  I know that everything I buy at the little hardware store is more expensive than home depot. But man, the service is unbelievable at that little store.  I can practically walk in the door and just hand them my shopping list.  Sometimes I'm willing to pay extra for that service.  Othertimes I just want a bigger selection and cheaper price.  No business can own the whole pie. 
--Jason
11-27-2007, 07:13 PM,
Isn't Capitalism great!
11-27-2007, 07:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2007, 08:06 PM by deepdarkblue.)
;D
11-28-2007, 09:55 AM,

Jason...a very good point and i agree with you 100% here..BUT.it seems to me that those that religiously shop online for dive gear really arent giving a local facility an appropriate opportunity to earn their business

I am not sure how to form an appropriate rebuttal ......I guess you have left me speechless here...this is far too powerful of a response :Smile
Oops Did I really say that?????
11-28-2007, 11:55 AM,
Why does Barnicle want me to take up Bowling? ??? Is he one of the SCUBA police who determines who can and can't dive? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
11-28-2007, 12:36 PM,
My 2 cents: I support my local dive shops. They, who have heled me out in a pinch, given good advice,hooked me up with fun, cool, people, are an asset and quite frankly a REQUIREMENT if you want to enjoy and learn at this sport.They can count on me. Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers