MNScuba.com

Full Version: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Hey G-men, How 'bout a photo and coords of that ghost ship in Prior Lake, now that spring has sprung. Hate to have to throw you a bone, and then pull it away... Oh, That's already been done in the other challenge.  Smile
We need the boats out for that.

Hydro has one in prior as well.
I went diving on Sunday with Shooter and his son Max in Roosevelt Lake, Outing, MN. The area We dove was near the old Simmons Resort and the old Bethany Bible Camp. These two areas were hit hard by a tornado back on August 6th 1969 and cabins were thrown into the lake. Several people died, and recovered a short time later. We were swimming through the area looking at 41+ year old debris, and Shooters son Max saw this sunken pontoon boat. Nate and I were the next ones to see it but since Max found it we named it the S.S. Maximus. There was an oar sticking out of the 3' high metal deck railing and what was left of the pontoon ladder was about 30' away. The wreck is in 30' deep water and the viz was only about 4' but it was very fun even though it was raining.

The coordinates to the S.S. Maximus are N 46 49.661' W93 56.604'

Here is link to a video of the wreck. The pontoon is in the first couple minutes of the video and the rest is of other tornado debris in the area:

I have also attached a contour map of the area.

Here are the confirmed running totals:
AandA (Art)---------------------------1 boat
Shooter (Nate)------------------------1 boat
Max ----------------------------------1 pontoon boat
doug67 (Doug)------------------------1 boat and 1 slightly used van
Detectorguy (John)--------------------3 boats and 1 fishhouse
lahrcm (Curtis)-------------------------1 boat and 1 dump truck

I will add Arclflash and Trinitys joint find when I see a photo and coordinates to it. Remember that with out a photo, its just a fish story.
I'll need the pontoon photo then. Tongue

I figured that would 'stir the pot' and I would be out of character if I wasn't doing that. The viz was so bad that a still photo wouldn't do it justice but the video kinda captures the bigger picture so to speak.
Hydro has one and a photo from Prior.

I figured that would 'stir the pot' and I would be out of character if I wasn't doing that. The viz was so bad that a still photo wouldn't do it justice but the video kinda captures the bigger picture so to speak.
[/quote]

;D

I might even throw some prizes on the table
no need to have my name on the label......

;D

[/quote]

;D

I might even throw some prizes on the table
no need to have my name on the label......

;D
[/quote]

You two do make me laugh
Heh my wreck is in one of 2 bays,(I remember the shore from the lake view notmap)  ill have to refind it to be sure, although I could dig out the video as during the ice dive vis was good.. would have been steeve's find if his gear didn't freeze.
I remember riding in the truck by Roosevelt Lake on the way to our cabin in Longville when I was a little kid, and my parents told me about how the tornado went through there and pitched the cabins in the lake. I knew that very minute that if I ever learned to dive, I would need to check out that lake. It felt different diving in Roosevelt after doing so much research and talking to the oldsters in town that remember the day. I was partly sad for the two people that drown when the cabins they were in blew in the lake, Partly sad for the two fishermen that drown while fishing near the Narrows when the tornado picked up their boat and flipped it. I was partly proud of Bill Mathies thinking that even back in '69 he was actively diving, and he was the one to recover two of the bodies from this lake. Partly proud to be swimming in the same lake as PADI #79 had over 41 years earlier. I was a little bit mad at myself for grabbing Max's leg when he wasn't looking, just for a laugh. I hope he doesn't hold that against me for long. Maybe we missed the heaviest hit area, but I was thinking that there would have been more debris. I guess the cabins weren't new in 1969, and the years have rotted the boards into the silt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31