MNScuba.com

Full Version: TRINITY'S 4th annual icing challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
17) DO NOT SCREW UP THE DIVE HOLE by dumping grilling ashes into the dive hole. neither when we have a diver down in it, nor before i am about to jump it. ok vis was 6inches to 2ft in many spots, but still. man, come on. wtf. the reason was that we had to cool down the grill in as we were running hard jumping spots all day. and second person was consulted and said sounds good, do it. just not everyone was asked.... the solution was novel invention of secondary use of dive sleds for use in new ice diving sport.remember its only fun if someone gets ...(like the rib man)

[URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/shimizunet/media/1619092_675764035816345_4653409477261169039_n.jpg.html][/URL]
Just to clarify,,,, the two divers in the background (on the ice road), that are walking, "WANTED to walk" and were not actually banished (as some have stated) from riding on the sleds, due to the aforementioned failed experiment on organic ash recycling.
Here is a youtube link to the Hopkins wreck Jump that we did in March.....I added a little Minnesota Loon music because everyone thinks we are Looney for Ice Diving! Cheers

funny.
three bird guys were watching us. taking pictures.

[URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/shimizunet/media/P4051711.jpg.html][/URL]
last great days of 2013-14 ice diving season. ice is candle- sticking(you can see air bubbles tunneling thru the ice). ran two dive holes as long as we could, towards end of day we were down to one ever shrinking hole. gang also pictured as is our personally plowed road. got to be at least 3/4 mile long by the time we were done. many local residents came down to look at what we were doing and chat. one guy asked us to recover an item. unfortunately with vis as low as 1-2ft in many spots it was not going to happen. also of interest when you go down, you might come up and find your gear being used for novel new sports see the cowboy hat shot, thats one guys dive gear box being used as a sled, by nearly the whole crew while he was diving! like rodney dangerfield I can't get no respect!
So, today we decided to try and get in a few more dives of the ice season. Lake Harriet was chosen! When we arrived it was obvious that this was going to be a challenge in itself just getting onto the ice!

With Terry, Robert and Joe's sleds, we managed to get our gear and bodies out onto the ice. The problem now was staying above the ice and not sinking through it!

Joe picked a dive spot and we chopped a hole. I suggested we dive two holes instead on just the one, so Robert and I walked off about 150 to punch another hole. As I was sitting on the ice and almost ready to go, I heard Robert say something like "heres your hole!" I looked over to see that he had fallen through the ice!

All geared up, I started to slide my butt towards the hole, only to break through the ice about three feet from the hole! I turned to Robert and said "I guess this will work!"

After completing a 20 minute dive I surfaced and then realized what a fiasco it was going to be just to get back onto the ice! With two people tugging on the rope and me rolling on the ice I eventually found a spot where I could lay flat out and get out of my weight belt and B.C. and roll to a harder surface!

About then, communication became unclear, and Robert and I
left the ice thinking we were heading to Minnetonka. We spent the rest of the afternoon explaining to passerby's what those crazy guys were doing out on the ice!

Here is a link the you tube video
Cool video! Hope tomorrow is a little better.
Well, today we sadly closed out the 4th annual ice challenge. We dove Lake Minnetonka. We punched 4 holes and jumped the same! Ice was pretty bad, so many places we almost fell through but ran fast pulling our sleds! Every once in a while a leg would go through, but we made it out and back to shore. What a GREAT year it has been! Not that the weather was so great, or the water so clear, rather the friendship that we shared and the memories that we have walked away with will live in our thoughts forever, thank you all for a such memorable season of Ice Jumping!

Here is a post of our last dive outing.
Cheers, Scotty

ROTFLMAO! Nice video, loved hearing Freddy. Welcome to MN Ice Diving & Congrats on getting so many dives in your first year

this is something i was interested in experimenting with. actually we did this also this weekend. on tonka. slightly lower vis than you had.im studying videos still trying to scrape up something interesting to share

I thought it interesting. we had for the first time, a home owner come over very nervous and telling us some strange story that it would be safer for us to find another spot to dive than right where we were about to cut a hole. everyone i talked to in the group had the feeling he was hiding something. after sleeping on it. i really think that guys got something he not supposed to hidden in the lake.. the more i think about it. the more i really am interested in finding out what it was...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20